Albertus Magnus College
Baseball Weekly Preview
Albertus Magnus College (0-0)
Mount Saint Mary's (0-3)
Feb. 25 • 12 p.m. • Fishkill, N.Y.
A NEW YEAR
The Albertus Magnus College baseball team opens up the 2017 campaign on the road at Mt. St. Mary's on Saturday afternoon in Fishkill, N.Y.
ALL-TIME VS. MOUNT ST. MARY'S
Mount St. Mary's holds an 8-5 edge over Albertus in the all-time series.
LAST YEAR VS. MOUNT ST. MARY'S
IN SEASON OPENERS
Albertus Magnus holds a 2-6 record in season openers. The last time the Falcons won their season opener was back in 2014 against New Paltz St., 9-4.
A NEW BEGINNING
Albertus Magnus welcomes 17 newcomers to the team.
Albertus Magnus has 15 student-athletes returning from last year's team.
BASEBALL SELECTED TO FINISH FIFTH IN GNAC PRESEASON POLL
The Albertus Magnus College baseball team was picked to finish fifth in the 2017 Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) Preseason Poll. The poll, which was released on Thursday afternoon, is voted on by the league's eight head coaches.
LAST YEAR RECAP
- The Falcons ended the year with a 13-21 overall record and earned the No. 5 seed in the Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) Tournament thanks to a 6-8 mark in league action.
- Head Coach Brian Leighton guided the Falcons to their most conference victories since 2014.
- AMC swept a GNAC doubleheader versus Rivier and split four conference twinbills this year.
- Albertus Magnus also earned four extra-inning triumphs and four walk-off wins.
- Catcher Mike Saia (Bridgeport, Conn.) and classmate Justin Poirier (Meriden, Conn.) both earned Third Team All-GNAC honors.
- Senior outfielder Ted Gravel (Morris, Conn.) joined his classmates in getting league-wide honors, as he represented the Falcons on the GNAC All-Sportsmanship Team.
- At the Albertus Magnus College Department of Athletics annual end of the year banquet, Poirier was tabbed as the team's MVP, freshman shortstop Mike Browne (New Fairfield, Conn.) earned the squad's Most Improved Player award and senior infielder Tyler Robertson (Cheshire, Conn.) received the baseball team Falcon Award.
The Falcons return to the mound on March 13 as the teams travels to Myrtle Beach, S.C. for their annual Sprink Break trip.