FINAL SCORE: Mt. St. Mary's 4 | Albertus Magnus 3
TEAM RECORDS: Mt. St. Mary's (1-3) | Albertus Magnus (0-1)
FISHKILL, N.Y. – The Albertus Magnus College baseball team opened the 2017 spring season with a 4-3 setback at Mount Saint Mary on Saturday afternoon at Dutchess Stadium.
HOW IT HAPPENED
3rd Inning – Mt. St. Mary's jumped on the board first after two scoreless innings. With two outs, John Santan and Chris Introcasco reached base before Vincenzo Pepe singled up the middle for a RBI to give the hosts a 1-0 advantage.
(T) 5th Inning – With bases loaded, Albertus tied the game at 1-1 after a sacrifice fly, RBI, from Tyriq Harris (Waterbury, Conn.) to allow Tom Crocco (Kings Park, N.Y.) to cross home and leaving two runners on base. The Falcons threat came to an end with a groundout.
(B) 5th Inning – With runners on second and third with one out, Mt. Saint Mary's scored back-to-back run to extend its lead to two, 3-1.
(T) 7th Inning – Albertus threaten Mt. Saint Mary's in the seventh as the Falcons cut the hosts' lead to within one, 3-2. With one out, Eric Therrien (Bristol, Conn.) began the threat with a single up the middle before Derwin Nunez (Bridgeport, Conn.) entered the game as a pinch runner and scored off a throwing error by the second basemen.
(B) 8th Inning – Mt. Saint Mary's final surge of the game came in the eighth. Nicholas Terzulli recorded the sacrifice fly, RBI, to allow the game-winning runner to score.
- Winning Pitcher : Stephan Sookdeo (1-0) | Save: Ryan Hayes (1) | Losing Pitcher: Jon Criscio (East Haven, Conn.) (0-1)
- Garcia and Scully totaled four of the Falcons' seven hits on the day.
- Garcia also tallied one of the three runs while Scully and Tyriq Harris posted a RBI a piece.
- Peter Knights led Mt. Saint Mary's with two hits while John Santana scored two of Mt. Saint Marys' four runs.
- The Falcons' bullpen recorded six hits, four runs (all earned), eight walks and four strikeouts over eight innings of play.
The Falcons return to the mound the week of March 13th as the team travels to Myrtle Beach, S.C. for their annual Spring Break trip.