New London, Conn. – The Albertus Magnus College baseball team was swept by in-state rival Mitchell College on Sunday afternoon in a non-conference doubleheader showdown. The Falcons fell to the Mariners in both game one and game two by the score of 18-2.
TEAM RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (3-10) | Mitchell College (11-6)
GAME 1: Mitchell 18 | Albertus Magnus 2
PITCHERS (G1): Winning Pitcher: Bryton Ferris: 6 IP | 2H | 1R | 2BB | 1 SO
Losing Pitcher: Shawn McFeggan: 3 IP | 4H | 6R | 5 ER | 2 BB | 1 SO
HOW IT HAPPENED
(B) 1st Inning – Mitchell opened the scoring in the bottom of the first after Francis Prettitore allowed a runner to score to give the hosts the early 1-0 lead.
(B) 3rd and 4th Innings – Mitchell struck again in both the third and fourth innings as the hosts scored four runs in each frame to extend their lead to nine, 9-0, entering the top of the fifth.
(T) 5th Inning – With one out and runners on first and second, Albertus Magnus broke its silence as Justen Rodriguez (Waterbury, Conn.) drove in the Falcons' first run of the game to cut the lead to within eight, 9-1.
(B) 5th Inning – However, Mitchell added four more runs in the bottom of the fifth to push its lead to 12, 13-1. The Marineers scored four runs on three hits and two Falcons' errors.
(B) 6th Inning – Mitchell continued to swing the bat as the hosts found themselves up 18-1 following a five-run inning.
(T) 7th Inning – Rodriguez scored the Falcons only run in the bottom of the fifth after he groundout to third allowing Roberto Garcia (Bridgeport, Conn.) to cross home before the final out was recorded.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Hunter Dumas (Norwalk, Conn.) and Rodriguez collected two hits apiece while Rodriguez recorded two RBI.
- Matt Warren (Wolcott, Conn.) and Garcia scored each of the Falcons' runs in the loss.
- Kyle Hartenstein led Mitchell with a 3-of-4 showing at the plate as well as collected three runs and two RBI.
GAME 2: Mitchell 18 | Albertus Magnus 2 (6 Innings)
PITCHERS (G2): Winning Pitcher: Brian Ricker: 5H | 2R | 2ER | 4SO
Losing Pitcher: Jay Palais: 3.0 IP | 8H | 7R | 5ER | 4BB | 2 SO
HOW IT HAPPENED
(B) 3rd Inning – Mitchell broke the silence after two scoreless innings scoring six runs on six hits to find themselves up seven, 7-0, heading into the fourth.
(B) 5th Inning - Bats came alive in the bottom of the fifth as Mitchell tacked on 11 more runs to put the game away 18-0.
(T) 6th Inning – The Falcons final threat of the game came in the top of the sixth as the Falcons scored two runs on four hits. With one out, Dumas started the rally with a double to left center before Scully singled up the middle to send Dumas home. However, Warren would record the Falcons second out of the inning, but Olszyk kept the rally alive with an RBI double to left center. Sophomore Mike Browne (New Fairfield, Conn.) continued the rally with a single up the middle, but Eric Therrien 9Bristol, Conn.) would end the threat with a strike out.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Five different players registerd at least one hit for the Falcons while Dumas and Andrew Scully (Stratford, Conn.) drove in the visitors' only runs of the game.
- Along with Scully, Adam Olszyk (Hamden, Conn.) posted a RBI a piece.
- Francis Prettitore led the hosts in game two with a 4-for-4 performance at the plate as well as registered a run and a team-high five RBI.
- Mitchell finished the afternoon with 18 hits while the Falcons only posted five.
The Falcons return to action on Wednesday, March 29th against Coast Guard. Game time is set for 3:30 p.m. at Rochford Field in New Haven, Conn.