Albertus Magnus College
Baseball Weekly Preview
Albertus Magnus (6-12, 3-1)
Mount St. Vincent (7-15)
April 12 • 3:30 p.m. / 6 p.m. • New Haven, Conn.
Albertus Magnus (6-12, 3-1)
St. Joseph's (Me.) (17-2, 4-0)
April 15 • 12 p.m. / 2:30 p.m. • New Haven, Conn.
A NEW WEEK
Following a 3-1 week in GNAC play, the Albertus Magnus College baseball team prepares for six games over a three day span, including two GNAC doubleheaders against Suffolk University and Saint Joseph's of Maine. The Falcons open up week seven with a non-conference doubleheader against Mt. St. Vincent at Rochford Field beginning at 3:30 p.m.
LAST WEEK RECAP
GAME 1: Albertus Magnus 11 | Anna Maria 3
GAME 2: Albertus Magnus 16 | Anna Maria 3
GAME 1: Albertus Magnus 5 | Norwich 4
GAME 2: Norwich 6 | Albertus Magnus 5
ALL-TIME VS. MT. ST. VINCENT
This is the first all-time meeting between the schools.
Suffolk leads the all-time series over Albertus Magnus 32-8.
LAST YEAR VS. SUFFOLK
FINAL SCORE: Albertus Magnus 4 | Suffolk 3
FINAL SCORE: Suffolk 4 | Albertus Magnus 1
ALL-TIME VS. ST. JOSEPH'S (ME.)
Saint Joseph's leads the all-time series over Albertus Magnus, 19-1.
LAST YEAR VS. SAINT JOSEPH'S (ME.)
FINAL SCORE: Saint Joseph's (Me.) 6 | Albertus Magnus 1
FINAL SCORE: Saint Joseph's (Me.) 11 | Albertus Magnus 4
GNAC STAT LEADERS
- Third in the league with a .381 batting average.
- First in the league with four home runs.
CLARK, SCULLY EARN GNAC WEEKLY HONORS
Scully, who was named the GNAC Player of the Week for the second time this season, enjoyed a huge offensive weekend, hitting .571 (8-14) with 1.000 slugging percentage and three RBI as the Falcons went 3-1. In a doubleheader sweep over Anna Maria, Scully was 3-for-7 with five runs scored before capping the weekend by going 5-for-7 with a homer, two doubles, three runs and two RBI against Norwich. The round-tripper was a walkoff solo shot to lift the Falcons to a 5-4 win in Game 1.
Clark, who was named the GNAC Rookie of the Week for the second time this season, slashed .333/.471/.667 in a 3-1 week, which included a team-high seven RBI, three runs, a double and a home run. The catcher connected for his first collegiate home run to go with a career-high four RBI against Anna Maria.
A NEW BEGINNING
Albertus Magnus welcomes 17 newcomers to the team.
Albertus Magnus has 15 student-athletes returning from last year's team.
IN SEASON OPENERS
Albertus Magnus holds a 2-7 record in season openers. The last time the Falcons won their season opener was back in 2014 against New Paltz St., 9-4.
BASEBALL SELECTED TO FINISH FIFTH IN GNAC PRESEASON POLL
The Albertus Magnus College baseball team was picked to finish fifth in the 2017 Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) Preseason Poll. The poll, which was released on Thursday afternoon, is voted on by the league's eight head coaches.
LAST YEAR RECAP
- The Falcons ended the year with a 13-21 overall record and earned the No. 5 seed in the Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) Tournament thanks to a 6-8 mark in league action.
- Head Coach Brian Leighton guided the Falcons to their most conference victories since 2014.
- AMC swept a GNAC doubleheader versus Rivier and split four conference twinbills this year.
- Albertus Magnus also earned four extra-inning triumphs and four walk-off wins.
- Catcher Mike Saia (Bridgeport, Conn.) and classmate Justin Poirier (Meriden, Conn.) both earned Third Team All-GNAC honors.
- Senior outfielder Ted Gravel (Morris, Conn.) joined his classmates in getting league-wide honors, as he represented the Falcons on the GNAC All-Sportsmanship Team.
- At the Albertus Magnus College Department of Athletics annual end of the year banquet, Poirier was tabbed as the team's MVP, freshman shortstop Mike Browne (New Fairfield, Conn.) earned the squad's Most Improved Player award and senior infielder Tyler Robertson (Cheshire, Conn.) received the baseball team Falcon Award.
Albertus Magnus returns to action next week against Newbury College, Lasell and Johnson & Wales.