East Boston, Mass. - The Albertus Magnus College baseball team was swept by Suffolk University on Thursday evening in a Great Northeast Athletic Conference double-header on Thursday evening at East Boston Memorial. The Falcons fell to the Rams 9-2 in game one and lost 4-3 in game two.
TEAM RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (8-14, 3-3) | Suffolk (13-7, 6-0)
GAME 1: Suffolk 9 | Albertus Magnus 2
PITCHERS (G1): Winning Pitcher: Mark Fusco– 7 IP | 4 H | 2 R | 0 ER | 7 SO | 2 BB
Losing Pitcher: Dan Zarnik – 5.1 IP | 7 H | 6 R | 6 ER | 4 BB | 1 SO
HOW IT HAPPENED
(T) 2nd Inning – Albertus Magnus took the early 1-0 lead following a RBI from Adam Olszyk (Hamden, Conn.) allowed Brandon Clark (Cheshire, Conn.) to score. Clark started off the inning reaching first on an error before finding himself in scoring position off a single from Matt Warren (Wolcott, Conn.).
(T) 4th Inning – The Falcons struck again this time in the top of the fourth, scoring one run on one hit to push their lead to 2-0. Clark was the lone run to score as he crossed home on a wild pitch.
(B) 6th Inning – The Rams waited until the sixth to turn up the volume when they over turned the deficit and went through their line-up to grab a 9-2 advantage.
INSIDE THE STATS
- Matt Warren (Wolcott, Conn.) led the visitors with a 2-of-3 performance at the plate.
- Along with Warren, Andrew Scully (Stratford, Conn.) and Mike Browne (New Fairfield, Conn.) added a hit apiece to total the Falcons' four hits.
- Curtis Tirone and Matt Brenner were perfect at the plate with the third baseman and catcher going 2-for-2 with one walk apiece.
- Tirone registered two RBIs and one run, while Brenner collected one RBI and one run scored.
GAME 2: Suffolk 4 | Albertus Magnus 3
PITCHERS (G2): Winning Pitcher: Tim Conroy – 6 IP | 4 H | 3 R | 1 ER | 5 SO | 5 BB
Losing Pitcher: Adam Olszyk – 5.1 IP | 7 H | 4 R | 2 ER | 2 BB | 2 SO
HOW IT HAPPENED
(B) 2nd Inning – Suffolk got on the board first, scoring one run on two hits to take the early edge.
(B) 3rd Inning – The Rams continued their momentum an inning later pushing their lead to 3-0 following RBI's from Chant and Speliotis.
(T) 5th Inning – Things came together for the Falcons in the top of the fifth as the visitors tied the game at 3-3. Tyriq Harris got things going with a single to left field before landing on second. Tom Crocco would continue the rally with a single through the left side, allowing Harris to score, 3-1. With two outs and runners in scoring position, an error by the second basemen allowed Alex Tejero (West Haven, Conn.), who pinch ran for Crocco, as well as the tying run, Matt Warren (Wolcott, Conn.), to score.
(B) 5th Inning – Suffolk would secure the one-run win in the bottom of the fifth as Sean Cameron would single to left field allowing Brady Chant to score.
INSIDE THE STATS
- Four different players registered all of the Falcons' hits.
- Suffolk's Chuck Gibson earned his second save on the mound after coming in for Conroy in the final inning.
- Brady Chant recorded a team high two hits for the Rams as well as drove in a team-high two runs.
- Harris and Warren both collected a hit and a run apiece for the visitors.
THe Falcons return to action on Saturday against Saint Joseph's (Me.)