Albertus Magnus College
Baseball Weekly Preview
Albertus Magnus (0-0)
Mount St. Mary's (0-1)
Tuesday, March 6 • 4 p.m. / 7 p.m. • Dutchess Stadium • Wappingers Falls, N.Y.
A NEW YEAR
After its originally scheduled season opener against Saint Joseph's (Brooklyn) was cancelled due to the weather last weekend, the Albertus Magnus College baseball team is scheduled to open the 2018 season Tuesday evening with a non-conference doubleheader against Mount St. Mary's.
ALL-TIME VS. MOUNT ST. MARY'S
The Knights lead the all-time series over the Falcons, 9-5.
LAST TIME VS. MOUNT ST. MARY'S
Game (2/25/17): Mount St. Mary's 4 | Albertus Magnus 3 – RECAP / BOX SCORE
SCOUTING MOUNT ST. MARY'S
- The Knights are coming off a 2017 season that saw them post a 15-28 overall record and a 9-9 mark against Skyline Conference opponents.
- The Knights advanced through the loser's bracket to the Skyline Conference Championship Round where it was eventually topped by Maritime.
- Mount Saint Mary returns 21 players from last season's team and welcomes 13 newcomers to the fold for the 2018 season.
- The Mount brings back three of its top four hitters from a season ago and needs to replace only two pitchers who made at least nine appearances in 2017.
- The Knights are coming off a 3-2 loss to Marywood University.
IN SEASON OPENERS
- Albertus Magnus holds a 2-7 record in season openers.
- The last time the Falcons won their season opener was back in 2014 against New Paltz St., 9-4.
Albertus Magnus has 20 student-athletes returning from last year's team – Tyriq Harris, Matt Warren, Daniel Kennedy, Brandon Clark, Avery Shugrue, David Otero, Roberto Garcia, Daunte Brinkley, Tyler Revan, Jay Palais, Steven Berry, Justen Rodriguez, Mike Browne, Marc Masciantonio, Peter Scionti, Tom Crocco, Eric Therrien, Shawn McFeggan, Christian Bradley and Dan Zarnik.
BASEBALL SELECTED TO FINISH FIFTH IN GNAC PRESEASON POLL
LINK: Complete GNAC Release
The Albertus Magnus College baseball team was picked to finish fifth in the 2018 Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) Preseason Poll.
The Falcons earned 30 points to finish nine points ahead of sixth-place Rivier and eight points back of fourth-place Lasell. Suffolk claimed the top spot in the poll, receiving 62 points and six first-place votes following their third straight conference championship victory last spring.
LAST YEAR RECAP
- The Falcons ended the year with a 10-21-1 overall record and earned the No. 6 seed in the Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) Tournament thanks to a 5-9 mark in league action.
- On April 13, 2017, the Falcons used a 5-4 victory over Mt. St. Vincent to give Leighton his 150th career victory at the helm of the Albertus baseball program.
- Last spring, Albertus Magnus swept Anna Maria, Rivier and Mt. Saint Vincent.
- The Falcons saw their season to come to an end with an 18-12 setback against third-seeded Lasell College in the opening round of the league tournament.
- Former Falcon Andrew Scully (Stratford, Conn.) received first-team distinction for the first time in his career thanks to a league-high 10 home runs to go along with a team-high .385 batting average. He finished out his senior year leading the team in RBI (22), runs scored (30), hits (37) and doubles (8).
- Former Falcons Tom Moore (East Haven, Conn.) represented Albertus Magnus on the GNAC All-Conference Sportsmanship Team. Moore wrapped up the 2017 campaign ranked top five in the GNAC in saves as well as posted an overall record of 2-1. This season, he pitched over 27 innings and recorded a career-high 26 strikeouts.
BASEBALL LANDS 11 PLAYERS ON THE GNAC ALL-ACADEMIC TEAM
The Albertus Magnus College baseball team had 11 student-athletes – Adam Olszyk, Tyler Revan, David Otero, Dean Gullo, Dan Zarnik, Derwin Nunez, Marc Masciantonio, Jonathan Criscio, David DeRubeis, Jason Quido and Thomas Moore - be named to the GNAC All-Academic Team for the 2016-17 school year.
The Falcons return to the mound on March 12 as the teams travels to Myrtle Beach, S.C. for their annual Spring Break trip.