Myrtle Beach, S.C. – The Albertus Magnus College baseball team improved to 2-1 on the year with a big 17-0 win over Clarks Summit in a non-conference game on Tuesday evening as part of the Ripken Experience. The bats came alive for Albertus Magnus as the Falcons scored 17 runs on 24 hits and seven Defender errors'.
FINAL SCORE: Albertus Magnus 17 | Clarks Summit 0
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (2-1) | Clarks Summit (0-6)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Senior Tom Crocco (Kings Park, N.Y.) got things started for Albertus Magnus scoring the first run of the game on a RBI single to give the Falcons the early edge.
Over the next two innings, Albertus Magnus rallied for five runs on six hits to take a six-run lead over the Defenders. In the third, senior Eric Therrien (Bristol, Conn.) and sophomore Christian Bradley (Stratford, Conn.) drove in a run each before red-shirt freshman Avery Shugrue (Hamden, Conn.) recorded his first career home run in the bottom of the fourth.
After a scoreless inning, the Falcons' offense came alive in the bottom of the sixth, scoring an impressive seven runs to take a commanding 13-0 lead.
Solid pitching from the Falcons' relief staff kept Clarks Summit at bay while Albertus Magnus added four additional runs over the seventh and eighth innings to take home the non-conference win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
ON THE MOUND
- Albertus Magnus: Dan Zarnik (W, 1-0) – 6.0 IP | 3 H | 0 R | 0 ER | 1 BB | 8 SO | 0 HR
- Clarks Summit: Connor Kopnik (L, 0-1) – 8.0 IP | 24 H | 17 R | 12 ER | 4 BB | 4 SO | 1 HR
AT THE PLATE
- Albertus Magnus had 11 players register at least a hit in the win.
- Zarnik posted a career-best eight strikeouts. His career-high was seven strikeouts which was recorded last season twice.
- Albertus Magnus was powered by Shugrue who drove in a team-best three runs, along with Brandon Fowler and Brandon Clark (Cheshire, Conn.), while going 3-of-5 at the plate with a triple and a home run.
- Bradley and junior Tyriq Harris (Waterbury, Conn.) were also big contributors on the night as Bradley registered three hits with a run scored and two RBI while Harris had three hits, a run scored and a team-best three RBI.
- Along with Harris, sophomore Matt Warren (Wolcott, Conn.) also tallied three RBI as well as posted a 2-of-4 showing at the plate with a run scored.
- Clarks Summit finished the game 4-of-30 at home and posted 14 strikeouts.
- The Defenders had four different players register at least a hit apiece.
Albertus Magnus returns to the mound on March 14 as the Falcons face Methodist in a non-conference clash at 4 p.m.