New Haven, Conn. - The Albertus Magnus College baseball team fell to in-state rival Mitchell College in a non-conference doubleheader Wednesday evening at Rochford Field. The Falcons fell short in the opener, 12-4, before losing to the Mariners by eight, 10-2, in the night cap.
FINAL SCORE (G1): Mitchell 12 | Albertus Magnus 4
FINAL SCORE (G2): Mitchell 10 | Albertus Magnus 2
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (4-8) | Mitchell (12-2)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Mitchell opened the game scoring four runs on four hits and a Falcon error to take the early lead, 4-0, before tacking on an additional four runs in the top of the fourth, pushing its lead to eight, 8-0.
A half inning later, Albertus Magnus broke its silence scoring three runs, including back-to-back RBI from Brandon Clark (Cheshire, Conn.) and Matt Warren (Wolcott, Conn.), to cut the lead to within five, 8-3, but the Mariners extended their lead to nine, 12-3, behind a four-run, four-hit inning in the fifth.
The Falcons tried to rally over the next three innings, but was only able to score a run in the bottom of seventh.
With the scored tied at 1-1, Mitchell took over on offense scoring six runs over the next four innings to take a six-run lead, 7-1.
The Falcons managed to score a run in the bottom of the sixth making the score 7-2, but the Mariners add two insurance runs in the top seventh before securing the win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
On the Mound (G1):
- Albertus Magnus - Jay Palais (L, 0-1): 3.2 IP | 7 H | 7 R | 5 ER | 3 BB | 4 SO
- Mitchell - Drew Daly (W, 3-0): 4.0 IP | 5 H | 3 R | 3 ER | 0 BB | 4 SO
At the Plate (G1):
- Warren led the Falcons with a 2-for-3 showing with an RBI and a run scored while seven different players registered a hit.
- Mitchell was led offensively by Jeremy Santos who recorded a team-best three hits, two RBI and two runs scored.
- Along with Santos, the Mariners had four players record two runs scored.
- Albertus was 9-of-27 with four RBI, a walk and six strikeouts.
- Mitchell finished game one 10-of-29 with 10 RBI, four walks and six strikeouts.
On the Mound (G2):
- Albertus Magnus - Fred France (L, 0-3): 3.2 IP | 5 H | 7 R | 5 ER | 3 BB | 1 SO | 1 HR
- Mitchell - Bryce Bedard (W, 3-0): 2.0 IP | 1 BB | 2 SO
At the Plate (G2):
- Warren recorded both hits for the Falcons while Roberto Garcia (Bridgeport, Conn.) and Clark recorded a run scored each.
- Senior Eric Therrien (Bristol, Conn.) recorded the Falcons' only RBI of the game in the bottom of the sixth.
- Three different players from Mitchell recorded a team-high two hits.
- Garet Griffin posted a team-high three runs scored and two RBI.
- Albertus Magnu was 2-of-21 at the plate with seven walks and seven strikeouts.
- Mitchell was 10-of-29 with six RBI, five walks and five strikeouts.
The Falcons return to the mound tomorrow, March 28 with a non-conference game at Eastern Connecticut State University.