Providence, R.I. – The Albertus Magnus College baseball team fell on the road in a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) doubleheader to Johnson & Wales (RI) on Sunday afternoon at the Scotts Miracle Grow Complex. The Wildcats topped the Falcons in game one, 7-5, before securing the sweep, 4-3.
FINAL SCORE (G1): Johnson & Wales 7 | Albertus Magnus 5
FINAL SCORE (G2): Johnson & Wales 4 | Albertus Magnus 3
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (4-13, 0-3) | Johnson & Wales (15-6, 4-0)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Senior Tom Crocco (Kings Park, N.Y.) started things off for Falcons with an two run RBI double in the first and a RBI single in the top of the third to give the visitors the early lead, 3-0, but Johnson & Wales managed to score a run in the bottom of the third to bring the score to within two, 3-1.
A half inning later, junior Tyriq Harris (Waterbury, Conn.) and sophomore Matt Warren (Wolcott, Conn.) drove in a run each to extend the Falcons' lead to four, 5-1. However, Johnson & Wales would close out the opener scoring a run in the fourth, three runs in the fifth and two runs in the sixth to secure the two-run win, 7-5.
The Falcons broke a 1-1 tie with two runs in the top of the fifth inning to take a 3-1 lead over the Wildcats. Harris' ground out scored Omar Diaz (New Haven, Conn.) before Justen Rodriguez (Waterbury, Conn.) got an infield single to score Brandon Clark (Cheshire, Conn.).
However, Johnson & Wales came up on top, 4-3, after scoring two runs in the top of the seventh.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
On the Mound (G2):
- Albertus Magnus: Shawn McFeggan (L, 1-3) – 5.0 IP | 7 R | 6 ER | 2 BB | 0 SO
- Albertus Magnus: Steven Berry – 1.0 IP | 1 H
- Johnson & Wales: Tom Doran (W, 1-0) – 2.1 IP | 2 BB | 1 SO
- Johnson & Wales: Josh Mousseau (Sv, 1) – 1.0 IP | 2 SO
At the Plate (G1):
- The Wildcats were led offensively by Tim Lombardi who recorded team-best three hits and a run scored while Vin Amalfitano collected a team-high two runs scored and two hits.
- Johnson & Wales was 10-of-26 against the Falcons' bullpen as well as scored six RBI and recorded two walks.
- Both Harris and Crocco collected a game-high two hits for Albertus.
- Crocco also recorded a season-high three RBI.
- Five different Falcons recorded a run scored.
- Albertus Magnus went 7-for-25 at the plate with six RBI, six walks and five strikeouts.
On the Mound (G2)
- Albertus Magnus: Daunte Brinkley - 6.1 IP | 9 H | 4 | 4 ER | 33 BB | 2 SO
- Albertus Magnus: Justen Rodriguez (L, 0-1) - 0.0 IP | 2 H
- Johnson & Wales: Josh Mousseau (W, 3-1) - O.2 IP
- Johnson & Wales: Kyle Cutler - 6.1 IP | 7 H | 3 R | 2 ER | 2 BB | 3 SO
At the Plate (G2):
- Rodriguez and Christian Bradley posted a team-best two hits while Rodrguez recorded a run scored and a RBI.
- Albertus Magnus finished the night cap 8-of-28 at the plate with three RBI, two walks and three strikeouts.
- Johnson & Wales Ramimiel Rodriguez finished the game 3-of-4 with a run scored.
- Edison Mercado collected a team-high two RBI for the Wildcats.
- The hosts ended the game 11-for-27 at the plate with four RBI, three walks and two strikeouts.
Albertus Magnus returns to the diamond next week against Worcester State, Rivier (DH) and Saint Joseph's of Maine (DH).