New Haven, Conn. – The Albertus Magnus College baseball team improved to 2-3 in GNAC action following a doubleheader sweep against Rivier University on Saturday afternoon at Rochford Field. The Falcons scored a total of 34 runs, including home runs from Tyriq Harris (Waterbury, Conn.), Matt Warren (Wolcott, Conn.) and Mike Browne (New Fairfield, Conn.).
FINAL SCORE (G1): Albertus Magnus 18 | Rivier 0
FINAL SCORE (G2): Albertus Magnus 16 | Rivier 0
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (6-14, 2-3) | Rivier (5-17, 0-6)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Albertus Magnus opened the game scoring two runs in the first and four runs in the third to take a six-run, 6-0, lead over the Raiders before the bottom of the fourth as bats came alive for the Falcons, scoring an impressive 11 runs, including a home run from Browne and a three-run RBI triple from Warren, pushing their lead to 17-0.
Albertus Magnus tacked on an insurance run in the bottom of the fifth thanks to an RBI from Clark.
Harris got thing started for the Falcons in the bottom of the first as the center fielder recorded his first home run of the season before back-to-back RBI singles from Warren and Tom Crocco (Kings Park, N.Y.) extended the hosts' lead to three, 3-0.
In the bottom of the second, Harris struck again, this time recording an RBI double to allow Browne to cross home. With one out and runners on the corners, Warren cleared the bases thanks to fourth home run of the season, putting the Falcons ahead by seven, 7-0.
Albertus Magnus continued to swing the bat scoring four runs in the third and five runs in the fourth to put the game away, 16-0.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
On the Mound (G1):
- Albertus Magnus: Dan Zarnik (W, 2-3) - 7.0 IP | 4 h | 5 SO
- Rivier: Kyle Flanagan (L, 1-6) - 2.2 IP | 6 H | 6 R | 3 ER | 1 SO
At the Plate (G1):
- Browne led the offensive unit for the Falcons with four hits, two runs scored and two RBI while Brandon Clark (Chesire, Conn.) posted three hits, a game-high four runs scored and three RBI.
- Warren recorded an impressive five RBI as well as recorded two hits and three runs scored.
- Four different players registered a hit for the Raiders in the loss.
- Albertus Magnus finished 18-of-38 at the plate with 17 RBI, two walks and three strikeouts.
On the Mound (G2):
- Albertus Magnus: Daunte Brinkley (W, 2-1) - 7.0 IP | 2 H | 1 BB | 2 SO
- Rivier: Eric Maxfield (L, 1-2) - 2.0 IP | 7 H | 7 R | 7 ER | 2 BB | 1 SO | 2 HR
At the Plate (G2):
- Harris led the Falcons in game two with a four-hit, three RBI performance. He also allowed three runners to score.
- Along with his two hits, Clark collected three RBI and a team-high four runs scored.
- Warren registered six of the Falcons 16 RBI in game two as wel as recorded three hits and drove in three runs.
- Albertus Magnus posted 18 hits over 37 at bats and finished with 16 RBI, four walks and four strikeouts.
- Rivier was held to only two hits.
Albertus Magnus returns to the diamond, tomorrow April 15 with a road GNAC doubleheader at Saint Joseph's of Maine. First pitch is set for 1 p.m. in Standish, Me.