East Boston, Mass. - The Albertus Magnus College baseball team lost to Suffolk University, 18-0, on Wednesday evening in a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) clash at East Boston Memorial Park.
FINAL SCORE: Suffolk 18 | Albertus Magnus 0
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (6-15, 2-4) | Suffolk (13-15, 7-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Suffolk opened the game scoring three runs in the top of the first, including a two-run homer from Will Hopkins, before the Rams found themselves ahead by five, 5-0, after a two-run inning in the top of the fourth.
Albertus Magnus threatened the Rams with two runners on-base in the bottom of the fourth, but was unable to capitalize. Suffolk continued to swing the bat and tacked on nine runs in the top of the fifth to take a commanding 14-0 lead.
Suffolk added an additional run in the sixth and three runs in the seventh to secure the two-game series, 18-0, after game two was postponed back on April 7th.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
On the Mound:
- Albertus Magnus – Dan Zarink (L, 2-4): 3.0 IP | 3 H | 3 R | 3 ER | 1 BB | 2 SO | 1 HR
- Suffolk – Kevin Sinatra (W, 2-3): 6.0 IP | 4 H | 0 R | 0 ER | 2 BB | 7 SO
At the Plate:
- Five different players registered a hit for the Falcons.
- Nine players from Suffolk tallied at least a hit in the win.
- Steven Shamnoski paced the Rams' offense with a game-high three hits while also recorded two RBI and a walk.
- Greg Speliotis posted a team-best four runs scored while Will Hopkins collected four RBI behind a 2-for-4 performance at the plate.
- Albertus Magnus finished 5-of-25 compared to the Rams who were 15-of-39 with 17 RBI, six walks and three strikeouts.
The Falcons return to the mound on Saturday, April 21 with a conference doubleheader against Anna Maria College. First pitch is set for 12 pm at Rochford Field. In between the games, the Albertus Magnus College baseball team will be recognizing its four-member senior class - Tom Crocco, Eric Therrien, Roberto Garcia and Dan Zarnik.