Northfield, Vt. - The Albertus Magnus College baseball team dropped a pair of road conference matches to Norwich University on Sunday afternoon at Garrity Field. The Falcons were edged by the Cadets, 5-3, in the opener and 8-7 in the nightcap.
FINAL SCORE (G1): Norwich 5 | Albertus Magnus 3
FINAL SCORE (G2): Norwich 8 | Albertus Magnus 7
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (7-18, 3-7) | Norwich (4-19, 4-4)
HOW IT HAPPENED
After a scoreless three innings, sophomore Matt Warren (Wolcott, Conn.) got things started for the Falcons collecting his fifth home run of the season as well as drove in two runs before Marc Masciantonio (Hamden, Conn.) gave the visitors a three-run cushion, 3-0, after driving in Justen Rodriguez (Waterbury, Conn.).
However, Norwich clinched the win scoring two runs in the fourth and three run in the fifth.
Similar to game one, Albertus Magnus came out of the gate scoring two runs in the top of the first and third to take a 4-0 lead, but the Cadets countered back with a three-run, one-hit inning to cut the lead to within one, 4-3.
The Falcons found themselves up 6-4 after scoring back-to-back runs until the bottom of the sixth as Norwich took over the lead, 8-6, following anRBI doble and a home run. Albertus Magnus rallied in the seventh, but was unable to make the comeback despite scoring a run thanks to an RBI single from Warren.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
On the Mound (G1):
- Albertus Magnus - Steven Berry (L, 0-1): 4.1 IP | 7 H | 4 R | 4 ER | 1 BB
- Norwich - Luke Johnson (W, 2-2): 7.0 IP | 8 H | 3 R | 3 ER | 1 BB | 3 SO | 1 HR
At the Plate (G1):
- The Falcons finished game one 8-of-27 with three RBI, a walk and three strikeouts compared to Norwich who finished 10-of-27 with five RBI, a walk and a strikeout.
- Junior Roberto Garcia (Bridgeport, Conn.) paced the Falcons' offense with two hits while Matt Warren (Wolcott, Conn.) drove in two RBI.
- Brady Doherty recorded a 2-for-3 performance for the Cadets.
- Andrew Fisher drove in a team-best two runs for the hosts while Drew Caldwell added two RBI of his own.
On the Mound (G2):
- Albertus Magnus - Dan Zarnik (L, 2-5): 0.2 IP | 2 H | 2 R | 2 ER | 1 HR
- Norwich - Ed Gates (W, 2-4): 7.0 IP | 10 H | 7 R | 3 ER | 3 BB | 3 SO
At the Plate (G2):
- Albertus Magnus posted a 10-7 edge in hits.
- Four Falcons recorded a multi-hit game.
- Along with his two hits, junior Tyriq Harris (Waterbury, Conn.) posted a team-best three runs scored.
- Warren collected a game-high three RBI.
- Ed Gates and Drew Caldwell led the Cadets at the plate with two hits each while Gates recorded two RBI and Caldwell tallied three RBI, respectively.
The baseball team returns to the diamond this week with a non-conference doubleheader at Western Conn. St. on Wednesday, April 25th.