Myrtle Beach, S.C. – The Albertus Magnus College baseball team extended its winning streak to three games with a doubleheader sweep against Clarks Summit on Monday afternoon in non-conference play as part of the Ripken Experience.
- This is the second time in program history that both teams have faced one another.
- Last season, the Falcons shutout the Defenders, 17-0.
THE BASICS (Game 1)
FINAL: Albertus Magnus 13 | Clarks Summit 1
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (2-0) | Clarks Summit (0-1)
WHAT HAPPENED (Game 1)
- At the end of two innings, Albertus held a commanding eight-run lead, 8-0, over the Defenders.
- Freshman Elijah Spataj (Cheshire, Conn.) tacked on an addition run in bottom of the fourth on a RBI single to left field.
- Up 9-0, Albertus continued to swing the bat and scored four more runs to put the game away 13-0.
- Clark Summit managed to score a run in the top of the seventh to avoid the shutout.
KEY STATS (Game 1)
- Junior Jay Palais (Farmington, Conn.) earned the "W" on the mound as the right-hander allowed only two hits while striking out three over five innings of play.
- Sophomore John Olszyk (Hamden, Conn.) led the offensive attack with two hits, both doubles, and two RBI.
- Junior Daniel Kennedy (Manchester, Conn.) and Spataj finished game one with a team-high three RBI.
- Kennedy also drove in a team-best three runs.
THE BASICS (Game 2)
FINAL: Albertus Magnus 14 | Clarks Summit 2
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (3-0) | Clarks Summit (0-4)
WHAT HAPPENED (Game 2)
- Albertus came out hot scoring 10 quick runs over the first three innings of play to take the early lead, 10-0.
- Clark Summit scored its first run of the game in the bottom of the fourth on a fielder's choice to bring the score to 10-1.
- The Falcons countered back scoring two runs in the fifth, a run in the sixth and a run in the seventh to put the game out of reach, 14-2.
- The Falcons two run's in the fifth came from back-to-back home runs from Matt Warren (Wolcott, Conn.) and Brendan Clark (North Haven, Conn.).
- The Defenders final run of the game came in the bottom of the fifth on a RBI single.
KEY STATS (Game 2)
- Freshman Alan Stinson (Watertown, Conn.) picked up the win for the Falcons.
- Over three innings, Stinson allowed four hits while striking out two batters and walking one.
- Warren went 3-for-3 at the plate as well as posted two runs scored and three RBI.
- Freshman Brendan Clark (North Haven, Conn.) finished with a team-high three runs scored and three RBI.
Albertus returns to the diamond on Tuesday, March 12 with a non-conference tilt against Wells as part of the Ripken Experience. First pitch is set for 6:30 pm in Myrtle Beach.