Myrtle Beach, S.C. - The Albertus Magnus College baseball team concluded its spring break trip with an overall record of 6-2 as the Falcons split a non-conference doubleheader to Dean College on their final day in the Palmetto State. The Falcons took game one by a score of 7-1, but lost 5-3 to the Bulldogs in the nightcap.
THE BASICS (Game 1)
FINAL: Albertus Magnus 7 | Dean 1
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (6-1) | Dean (0-7)
WHAT HAPPENED (Game 1)
- Albertus jumped out to an early two-run lead, 2-0, as senior Tyriq Harris (Waterbury, Conn.) tripled to left, driving in Nhasean Murphy (Manchester, Conn.) from first, as well as scored off an error by the third baseman.
- Dean cut the Falcons' lead in half, 2-1, two innings later scoring its only run of the game off a wild pitch.
- Sophomore John Olszyk (Hamden, Conn.) then delivered a big blow – a two-run double to left that made the score 4-1 in the bottom of the fourth.
- Harris drove in another run in the fifth when he reached on an error and then another run came home on a Michael Browne (New Fairfield, Conn.) fielder's choice.
- Olszyk capped the three-run fifth and all the scoring when he sent an RBI double to center that brought in Browne, putting Dean away.
KEY STATS (Game 1)
- At the plate, Olszyk finished 3-for-3 with three RBI.
- In addition to Olszyk, the Falcons got two hits and two RBI from Harris.
- Sophomore Brandon Fowler (Lexington, S.C.) went the distance for the Falcons, allowing just six hits and one run while striking out six.
THE BASICS (Game 2)
FINAL: Dean 5 | Albertus Magnus 3
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (6-2) | Dean (1-7)
WHAT HAPPENED (Game 2)
- Murphy put the Falcons up 1-0 in the top of the first after taking advantage off an error by the shortstop, but Dean evened the score a half inning later on a RBI single to third.
- Dean moved in front, 2-1, in the bottom of the third following another RBI single this time to right center.
- The Bulldogs doubled their lead in the fifth, 4-1, after scoring two runs on two hits despite two outs on the scoreboard.
- Dean tacked on another run, 5-1, on a Landen Smith homerun in the bottom of the sixth.
- Albertus battled back in the final inning as Daniel Kennedy (Manchester, Conn.) put two unearned runs on the board with two outs to close the gap, but the rally came to an end with a groundout to short.
KEY STATS (Game 2)
- Four different players registered a hit while Kennedy posted a team-high two RBI.
- Sophomore Nick Miller (Union, N.J.) earned the loss on the mound for the Falcons.
- Miller also finished the game with a season-high seven strikeouts.
Albertus returns to the diamond on Tuesday, March 19 with a non-conference home showdown against Elms. Game times are set for 4pm at Rochford Field.