Link: Box Score
New London, Conn. - The Albertus Magnus College baseball team lost to in-state foe Coast Guard Academy by a score of 8-2 on Monday afternoon at Nitchman Field in non-conference play.
FINAL: Coast Guard 8 | Albertus Magnus 2
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (7-5) | Coast Guard (7-6)
- Cody Fidler got things going for the Bears scoring the first run of the game in the bottom of the second on a sacrifice fly to center field.
- Down 1-0, junior Matt Warren (Wolcott, Conn.) connected for his fourth double of the season to allow junior Brandon Clark (Cheshire, Conn.) to score, evening the game at 1-1.
- Shortly after, Coast Guard held a one-run advantage, 2-1, heading into the top of the fourth as Nolan Johnson scored off a RBI groundout from Luke Thompson.
- In the bottom of the fifth, Coast Guard struck again scoring four runs on four hits, including a home run from Will Stephen, to push its lead to five, 6-1.
- The Falcons saw the Bears' lead grow to six, 7-1, after the hosts tacked on an additional run in the bottom of the seventh.
- Albertus tried to get a rally going in the top of the eighth as Warren kicked off the inning with a walk before crossing home on RBI double from Elijah Spataj (Cheshire, Conn.), but the Falcons rally ended with three straight outs.
- The Falcons were unable to stop Coast Guard from scoring another run in the bottom of the eighth, making the final score 8-2.
- Along with Spataj and Warren, senior Mike Browne (New Fairfield, Conn.) finished the game with a hit.
- Spataj and Warren also registered a RBI each.
- Albertus finished 3-for-31 at the plate while Coast Guard went 6-for-30.
- Jeremy Lhotka led the Bears offense with two hits, two RBI and a run scored.
- Junior Shawn McFeggan (Anaheim, Calif.) picked up the loss for the Falcons and falls to 0-1.
Albertus returns to action on Wednesday, March 25 with a road non-conference doubleheader against Mitchell College.