Boston, Mass. –The Albertus Magnus College baseball team dropped both ends of a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) doubleheader versus Suffolk University on Saturday afternoon at East Boston Memorial Park. The Rams shut out the Falcons 11-0 in the opener, before earning a 7-2 triumph in the nightcap.
FINAL (G1): Suffolk 11 | Albertus Magnus 0
FINAL (G2): Suffolk 7 | Albertus Magnus 2
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (7-9, 1-3) | Suffolk (11-7-1, 4-0)
KEY HIGHLIGHTS (Game 1)
- Suffolk started early scoring two runs in the bottom of the first behind a pair of RBI's from Blasé Cormier and Tim Brigham.
- The Rams doubled their first frame output in the second stanza to make it a 6-0 Suffolk score.
- Suffolk's bullpen kept the Falcons bats quiet to maintain the margin before Suffolk added on to its advantage in the bottom of the sixth.
- Trailing 11-0, the Falcons flirted with scoring with a pair of base runners on an error and a base hit, but a strikeout and a double play kept Albertus off the board for the 11-0 final score.
KEY STATS (Game 1)
- Falcons starter Nick Miller (Union, N.J.) suffered the setback after allowing six runs on six hits and one walk with one strikeout.
- Senior Mike Browne (New Fairfield, Conn.) and freshman Elijah Spataj (Cheshire, Conn.) posted a team-high two hits over three at bats.
- Jay Palais (Farmington, Conn.) came in for 3.0 innings of relief in which he limited the Rams offense to just one hit and fanned a pair of hitters.
- Suffolk's Blasé Cormier led the way at the dish with a 3-for-3 effort, including one triple, for three RBI with one sac fly and one run scored.
KEY HIGHLIGHTS (Game 2)
- The Falcons first run of the day came in the top of the first as the visitors used an RBI groundout from Matt Warren (Wolcott, Conn.) to allow Browne to score from third, who started off the game with an infield single.
- Suffolk's Ben Isaak did his job with a sacrifice fly to right field to even the playing field at 1-all heading into the top of the second.
- Four scoreless frames ensued before Albertus got in on the long-ball game with a solo shot to right center from sophomore Brandon Clark (Cheshire, Conn.) to put the Falcons ahead 2-1 in the top of the fifth.
- The Rams response came in the next half inning and the hosts found themselves up 3-2 after scoring two runs on three hits and capitalized on a Falcon error.
- In the bottom of the sixth, Suffolk stretched its lead to 7-2 after scoring four runs despite having two outs on the board.
- The Falcons put up a fight in the top of the seventh as Tyriq Harris (Waterbury, Conn.) started things off with a single, but the Rams turned a 463 double play to keep them quiet. The Clark brothers Brandon and Brendan kept Albertus alive with a double to left center followed by a base on balls. However, Kevin Sinatra secured the decision for the Rams striking out Warren for the final out of the game.
KEY STATS (Game 2)
- Shawn McFeggan (Anaheim, Calif.) slipped to 0-2 after giving up three runs (one earned) on five hits, two walks and one punch-out over 4.1 frames.
- Brandon Clark finished the game 3-for-4 at the plate with a run scored and a RBI.
- Sixty percent (6-10) of Suffolk's hits went for extra-bases – four doubles and a pair of triples.
Albertus returns to action on Tuesday, April 2 with the Falcons home opener against Norwich University. Game times are set for 3:30PM and 5:00PM at Rochford Field.