Hamden, Conn. - The Albertus Magnus College baseball team swept the College of Mount Saint Vincent on Saturday afternoon in non-conference play at Hamden High School. The Falcons edged past the Dolphins in game one, 3-2, before taking the night cap by a score of 17-5.
FINAL (G1): Albertus Magnus 3 | Mt. St. Vincent 2
FINAL (G2): Albertus Magnus 17 | Mt. St. Vincent 5
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (13-11) | Mt. St. Vincent (13-14)
- In game one, senior Mike Browne (New Fairfield, Conn.) collected his 100th career hit.
- Following today's sweep, the Falcons are 4-0 against the Dolphins in the all-time series.
- Albertus is currently on a three-game winning streak.
- In game two, Albertus set a new season-high in hits (18), doubles (6) and RBI (17).
KEY HIGHLIGHTS (G1)
Freshman Elijah Spataj (Cheshire, Conn.) got things started for the Falcons in the bottom of the first scoring Browne and Brandon Clark (Cheshire, Conn.) off a double to left to give the hosts the two-run advantage.
An RBI single from Joseph Matthews (Anaheim, Calif.) in the home half of the fifth extended the Falcons lead to 3-0. Matthews single drove in Matt Warren (Wolcott, Conn.) from third after he doubled to right center.
Mt. St. Vincent threatened Albertus scoring a pair of runs, one in the sixth and one in the seventh, to cut the lead to one, 3-2, but the Dolphins comeback fell short as a fly out to center and double play ended the rally.
KEY STATS (G1)
- Shawn McFeggan (Anaheim, Calif.) pitched six innings and allowed one run on four hits while striking out three to earn his first win of the season.
- Dan DeBartolomeo (Fairfield, Conn.) picked up his second save of the year after pitching one inning of relief.
- A quartet of Falcons registered a hit in the win.
- Spataj finished with a pair of RBI's.
- Matt DiNorcia led the Dolphins with two hits and a RBI.
KEY HIGHLIGHTS (G2)
Albertus opened the night cap with a seven-run cushion that all started with a infield single from Browne. Warren drove in the first two runs of the game following a double down the left field line before John Olszyk (Hamden, Conn.) cleared the bases for a two-run RBI double. A single from Matthews and a two-run double from Tyriq Harris (Waterbury, Conn.) drove in another three runs to put Albertus up 7-0.
Mt. St. Vincent started to show some life in the top of the second scoring two runs on two hits, including a two-run RBI double from Jake Blinstrub, to cut the lead to 7-2.
Albertus continued to swing the bat as the Falcons extended their lead to 17-2 after scoring six runs in the third and four runs in the fifth. Albertus was led offensively in the third by freshman Eduardo Pena (Hamden, Conn.), who recorded his second collegiate grand slam while Warren drove in a pair in the bottom of the fifth.
Despite Dan Blake scoring on a wild pitch in the sixth and a two-run RBI triple from DiNorcia in the seventh, it wasn't enough to ensure the Dolphins a victory.
KEY STATS (G2)
- Junior Jay Palais (Farmington, Conn.) collected his fourth win on the mound holding the Dolphins to two runs on four hits while striking out two.
- Six players registered at least two hits, including a trio of three hit performances from Browne, Clarke and Warren.
- Warren finished game two with a season-high six RBI while Pena posted a season-best four.
- DiNorcia led the Dolphins for a second straight game with three hits, a run scored and two RBI.
Albertus resumes GNAC play with a home doubleheader against Johnson & Wales University on Sunday, April 14th at Rochford Field. Game times are set for 1PM and 3:30PM.