New London, N.H. - The Albertus Magnus College baseball team improved to 5-5 in Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) play as the Falcons swept league newcomer Colby-Sawyer College on Thursday afternoon at Kelsey Field. The Falcons edged past the Chargers in game one, 3-2, before taking the nightcap, 9-7, despite a seventh inning rally by the hosts.
Following today's sweep, the Falcons are currently on a six-game winning streak.
FINAL (G1): Albertus Magnus 3 | Colby Sawyer 2
FINAL (G2): Albertus Magnus 9 | Colby Sawyer 7
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (16-11, 5-5) | Colby Sawyer (6-21, 3-9)
KEY HIGHLIGHTS (G1)
Colby Sawyer opened the game with the two-run advantage behind back-to-back RBI from Charlie Danaher and Danny McCrystal in the bottom of the first.
Albertus tied the game in the next half inning scoring two runs on one hit. Senior Tyriq Harris (Waterbury, Conn.) knocked in the first run with a sacrifice fly while the team's second run came on a double steal from Eduardo Pena (Hamden, Conn.).
The game-winning run would also come via a double steal in the top of the fourth by Falcons' second baseman Joseph Matthews (Anaheim, Calif.).
KEY STATS (G1)
- Junior Shawn McFeggan (Anaheim, Calif.) picked up his third win on the mound for Albertus. McFeggan held the Chargers to only two runs on four hits while striking out a season-best seven batters.
- Ryan Glendye went the distance and allowed two earned runs on three hits in the Chargers' loss.
- The Falcons' three hits in game one came from Brendan Clark (North Haven, Conn.), Pena and Ron Losacano (Old Lyme, Conn.).
- Harris recorded the Falcons' lone RBI of the game.
KEY HIGHLIGHTS (G2)
Colby-Sawyer struck first once again in the nightcap with the early 1-0 lead behind a RBI triple from AJ Cavossa.
The Chargers added a pair in the third on a Brendan Barrett (Nashua, N.H.) infield single and a squeeze bunt from Danny McCrystal.
Albertus Magnus erupted for five runs in the fifth to take a 5-3 lead. At one point in the frame, the Falcons strung together four-straight hits while Brandon Clark (Cheshire, Conn.) and Matt Warren (Wolcott, Conn.) each had a two-run double in the inning.
Colby-Sawyer came back in the bottom of the sixth to tie the game at 5-5.
The Falcons responded right away by scoring four times in the top of the seventh to extend their lead to 9-5. Freshman Elijah Spataj (Cheshire, Conn.) knocked in two runs with a double to left center.
The Chargers were able to get two back in the bottom of the seventh, but Brandon Fowler (Lexington, S.C.) halted the rally and left the bases loaded to pick up his first save of the season.
KEY STATS (G2)
- Brendan Clark (North Haven, Conn.) earned the victory with two innings of relief work for the Falcons. Clark allowed two runs on two hits
- Senior Mike Browne (New Fairfield, Conn.) had two hits and two runs for Albertus.
- Pena finished game two 3-for-4 to lead the Falcons offense.
- AJ Cavossa was 3-for-3 with two RBI for the Chargers.
Albertus returns to action on Saturday, April 20 with a home doubleheader against Lasell College. Game times are set for 12:00PM and 2:30PM at Rochford Field.