New Haven, Conn. - The Albertus Magnus College baseball team split a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) doubleheader to Lasell College Wednesday evening at Rochford Field. The Lasers used a five-run rally in the sixth inning to defeat the Falcons 6-5 in the first, but the Falcons proved to be too much winning the nightcap by a score 14-2.
FINAL (G1): Lasell 6 | Albertus Magnus 5
FINAL (G2): Albertus Magnus 14 | Lasell 2
RECORDS : Albertus Magnus (17-12, 6-6) | Lasell (20-14, 9-7)
KEY HIGHLIGHTS (G1)
Lasell took a 1-0 lead in the first inning on a sacrifice fly from Andre Marchesseualt that allowed Evan Michalek to score after he kicked off the game with an infield single.
Shortly after, Albertus put up two runs in the home half of the second behind a pair of RBI's from Joseph Matthews (Anaheim, Calif.) and Tyriq Harris (Waterbury, Conn.). The Falcons remained hot at the plate, scoring an additional three runs in the bottom of the third to take a 5-1 lead over the Lasers. The inning was highlighted by a sacrifice fly from Eduardo Pena (Hamden, Conn.) and a RBI single from Ron Losacano (Old Lyme, Conn.)
Albertus saw its four-run cushion disappear as Lasell recorded a five-run, seven-hit inning to to take the opener, 6-5. Michalek evened the game at 5-5 following an RBI single before an RBI single from David Marsell drove in Wyatt Sihvonen for the game-winning run.
KEYS STATS (G1)
- Sophomore Brendan Clark (North Haven, Conn.) was tagged with the loss dropping him to 2-1 on the year after 1.2 innings of relief with two runs, four hits and a strikeout.
- Lasell had four players register a team-high two hits while six different players registered an RBI.
- Both Harris and Losacano posted a team-best two hits and a RBI.
In a carbon copy of the first game, Lasell took a 1-0 lead in the first inning on a sac fly by Marchesseault to score Michalek. But this time, Albertus sent 12 batters to the plate in the second inning, scoring eight times. Losacano had two doubles and four RBI in the inning, capping the rally with a bases-clearing two-bagger.
Lasell's Joe Sullivan hit a sac fly for the Lasers' only other run in the third inning. The Falcons didn't stop hitting, scoring one more in the third, three in the fourth and two in the fifth.
- Sophomore Brandon Fowler (Lexington, S.C.) threw his second complete game and held the Lasers to only two runs on four hits while striking out four.
- Lasell's David Marsell suffered his fourth loss of the season after 1.2 innings of work where he let up eight runs (all earned).
- Albertus was led by Harris who finished 3-for-4 at the plate with two runs scored and two RBI.
- Losacano drove in a team-high four RBI as well as tallied two hits and a run scored.
- Two of Lasell's four hits came from Michalek while Zach Herring and Mario Kiaunis tallied the remaining.
Albertus returns to action on Thursday, April 25 with a home GNAC doubleheader against Johnson & Wales University. Game times are set for 4PM and 7:30PM at Rochford Field.