New Haven, Conn. – The Albertus Magnus College baseball team split a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) doubleheader to Johnson & Wales University Thursday evening at Rochford Field. The Wildcats claimed game one 7-2, but the Falcons battled back to take the night cap, 5-3.
FINAL (G1): Johnson & Wales 7 | Albertus Magnus 2
FINAL (G2): Albertus Magnus 5 | Johnson & Wales 3
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (18-13, 7-7) | Johnson & Wales (20-12, 9-3)
- The last time Albertus defeated JWU was back on April 5, 2014 as the Falcons split a road doubleheader with the Wildcats. (L, 4-0/W, 2-1)
- JWU still leads Albertus in the all-time series, 33-32.
KEY HIGHLIGHTS (G1)
Johnson & Wales' Colby Greenhalg broke the scoreless drought in the top of the third hitting a deep ball over the left field fence, giving the visitors a one-run cushion.
The Wildcats tacked on additional five runs in the top of the fifth and a run in the sixth to take a commanding 7-0 lead over the Falcons.
Albertus rallied in the bottom of the seventh as Elijah Spataj (Cheshire, Conn.) started off the inning scoring the Falcons first run of the game after registering his third home run of the season. Despite one out, the Falcons managed to load the bases before Tyriq Harris (Waterbury, Conn.) drove in Brendan Clark (North Haven, Conn.) off a fielder choice, cutting the deficit to five, 7-2. However, the hosts' rally came to end leaving two runners on base.
KEY STATS (G1)
- Junior Shawn McFeggan (Anaheim, Calif.) suffered the loss after allowing six runs on 10 hits in 4.2 innings.
- Josh Mosseau pitched all seven innings for JWU and allowed only two runs on five hits while striking out six.
- JWU had four players register two hits over four at bats.
- Freshman Joseph Matthews (Anaheim, Calif.) led the offensive unit with two hits.
- Spataj and Harris collected an RBI apiece.
KEY HIGHLIGHTS (G2)
Bats came alive for the Falcons as the hosts opened the nightcap with five quick runs, highlighted by back-to-back RBI from Bre. Clark and Eduardo Pena (Hamden, Conn.).
Johnson & Wales battled back to within three, 5-2, following a second inning home run from Adam Diehl and a sacrifice fly from Armani Henderson in the top of the fourth.
Alex Domingos led off the seventh with a pinch hit double before coming around to score following a single from Anthony Roman, cutting the Falcons' lead to two, 5-3. JWU had the tying run at the plate, but could not force extra innings as Brandon Fowler (Lexington, S.C.) struck out Joe Maracic.
KEY STATS (G2)
- James Smiegocki earned the loss on the mound for the Wildcats. He pitched all seven innings allowing five runs with two hits and five punch outs.
- Senior Mike Browne (New Fairfield, Conn.) was 4-for-4 at the plate with a run scored while Matthews posted another two-hit performance.
- Junior Jay Palais (Farmington, Conn.) pitched five innings for Albertus and only allowed two runs and two hits. Palais earned his fifth win on the mound as well as struck out five batters.
Albertus returns to the diamond on Saturday, April 27 with a road conference doubleheader against Rivier University. Game times are set for 1PM and 3:30PM in Nashua, N.H.