Nashua, N.H. – The Albertus Magnus College baseball team erupted for 28 runs in a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) doubleheader sweep to Rivier University on Saturday afternoon at Holman Field. Following the pair of the wins, the Falcons conclude the 2019 regular season with an overall record of 20-13 and a 9-7 mark in league play.
FINAL (G1): Albertus Magnus 12 | Rivier 8
FINAL (G2): Albertus Magnus 16 | Rivier 2
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (20-13, 9-7) | Rivier (7-32, 1-15)
KEY HIGHLIGHTS (G1)
Senior Mike Browne (New Fairfield, Conn.) gave the Falcons a one-run edge in the top of the first after he scored off an error by the shortstop. Shortly after, Rivier's Brett Iannazzo drove in a pair of runs off a single down the ride side to put the hosts ahead by one, 2-1.
Albertus doubled its lead, 4-2, in the following inning as a pair of RBI from Browne and Joseph Matthews (Anaheim, Calif.) drove in a total of three runs, but Rivier battled back to within one, 4-3, in the home half of the second.
The Falcons and Raiders traded runs over the next two innings of play before a five-run inning, highlighted by a solo home run from freshman Eduardo Pena (Hamden, Conn.), gave the visitors a 10-4 lead.
In the bottom of the seventh, Rivier rallied together four runs on four hits to cut the deficit to 12-8, but solid defensive work from the Falcons kept the hosts at bay forcing them to leave the bases loaded.
KEY STATS (G1)
- Freshman Alan Stinson (Watertown, Conn.) pitched 4.0 innings for Albertus and earned his fourth win after allowing four runs on seven hits and struck out three batters.
- Sophomore Dan DeBartolomeo (Fairfield, Conn.) picked up his third save on the season after helping the defensive unit in the bottom of the seventh.
- Browne and Tryiq Harris (Waterbury, Conn.) led Albertus with three hits while Browne also recorded a team-high three runs and three RBI.
- Rivier had three players register a team-high two hits.
KEY HIGHLIGHTS (G2)
Bats came alive for the Falcons in the nightcap as the visitors jumped out to a commanding 13-0 lead behind a seven-run inning in the top of the second and three-run homer from Elijah Spataj (Cheshire, Conn.) in the top of the third. Albertus did not stop there, tacking on an additional three runs in the top fifth to put the game away 16-0.
Rivier's only two runs of the game came in the bottom of the seventh as Jorge Martinez drove in Conor Dines on a RBI single while Ryan Schaefer scored off a throwing error by the catcher.
KEY STATS (G2)
- Sophomore Brendan Clark (North Haven, Conn.) threw a one-hitter over 4.0 innings of work to earn the win on the mound. He allowed no runs to score and struck out four batters.
- Browne, Pena and Spataj finished game two with a team-high three hits.
- Along with his three hits, Spataj recorded five of the Falcons' 12 RBI and three runs scored.
- Three different players posted a hit for the Falcons.