Waltham, Mass. – The Albertus Magnus College baseball team came up short to Lasell College, 7-4, in the first round of the 2019 Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) Baseball Tournament on Tuesday evening at Stein Diamond.
FINAL: #4 Lasell 7 | #5 Albertus Magnus 4
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (20-14) | Lasell (23-15)
GNAC BASEBALL TOURNAMENT
With the victory, the Lasers advance to the double elimination portion of the GNAC Tournament and will face top-seeded Suffolk University on Thursday at 7:00PM.
Junior Brandon Clark (Cheshire, Conn.) kicked off the scoring in the top of the first hitting his third home run of the season to give the Falcons the 1-0 edge. However, Lasell's Joe Sullivan cleared the bases in the home half of the inning with a grand slam over the right field fence to put the hosts 4-1.
Albertus and Lasell traded runs over the next inning until the bottom of the third as the Lasers scored an additional two runs following back-to-back RBI doubles from Zack Herring and Wyatt Sihvonen.
Trailing 7-2, Albertus rallied together a run in the sixth and a run in the ninth, respectively, to cut the deficit to three, 7-4. The Falcons remained in the game till the very end as the visitors had runners on the corners and the tying run at the plate, but the Lasers' second baseman made the play at first to end the threat and game.
- Sophomore Brandon Fowler (Lexington, S.C.) started for Albertus and pitched 2.0 innings while allowing six runs on eight hits.
- Sophomore Brendan Clark (North Haven, Conn.) came in for relief for the Falcons in the bottom of the third as the righthander allowed six hits and an earned run while also striking out seven batters.
- Dan Petr earned the win on the mound for Lasell and improved to 4-1 on the season.
- Chris O'Connor picked up the save after pitching two solid innings and kept the tying run at the plate from getting on base.
- Senior Tyriq Harris (Waterbury, Conn.) finished the game 3-for-4 at the plate with two runs scored.
- The Falcons three RBI of the day came from Mike Browne (New Fairfield, Conn.), Bra. Clark and Matt Warren (Wolcott, Conn.).
- Lasell had five players register at least two hits each, including a three-hit performance from Herring.
- Sullivan finished with a team-high four RBI to go with two hits and a run scored.