Fishkill, N.Y. – The Albertus Magnus College baseball team opened the 2020 spring campaign with an impressive 16-4 road win over Mount Saint Mary (N.Y.) College on Sunday afternoon in non-conference play at Duchess Stadium.
FINAL: Albertus Magnus 16 | Mount Saint Mary 4
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (1-0) | Mt. St. Mary (1-2)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Falcons got on the board first as Matt Warren (Wolcott, Conn.) drove in Joseph Matthews (Anaheim, Calif.) to take an early 1-0 lead in the top of the first. Albertus Magnus hung a crooked number in the second, scoring five runs on three hits, capped by Warren's two-RBI single to push the lead to six.
Mount Saint Mary got two runs back in the bottom half of the inning behind back-to-back RBI to cut the deficit to four, 6-2.
However, Albertus Magnus hung another five runs in the top of third as Warren's bases-clearing double drove home three and Brendan Clark (North Haven, Conn.) singled home Warren to give the Falcons an 11-2 lead.
The Knights got one run back in the bottom half of the inning when Matt Barbieri doubled down the left field line to score Liam Merlin.
The Mount scored its final run of the game in the fourth when Mirra scored from second on an infield single from Michael DiGiovanni (Shirley, N.Y.) and a throwing error.
The Falcons scored five runs in the final three innings as Elijah Spataj (Cheshire, Conn.) homered in the seventh, Sean Jefferson (West Haven, Conn.) and Nhasean Murphy (Manchester, Conn.) each drove home a run in the eighth and Caden Cloutier (Wallingford, Conn.) singled home a run in the ninth.
- Warren drove in six runs on the day for the Falcons as three different players had three hits on the day.
- Freshman Sean Jefferson (West Haven, Conn.) scored a team-high three runs as Albertus Magnus slugged out 19 hits.
- Senior left-hander pitcher Shawn McFeggan (Anaheim, Calif.) earned the start and went two innings, allowing four hits and two runs.
- Freshman Ike Flannery (Wethersfield, Conn.) earned the win in relief as he went six innings and allowed two runs (one earned) on three hits.
- Following today's win, the Falcons are now 7-10 all-time against the Knights.
- Warren tied his season-high in RBI, which was set last season in the 16-0 shutout win over Rivier.
- Today's homer is Spataj's fifth in his two-year career.
- Brandon Clark (Cheshire, Conn.) tallied two RBI today, a feat he accomplished twice last season.
- Freshmen Flannery, Cloutier, Jefferson and Jason Sullivan (Meriden, Conn.) all made their collegiate debuts today.
The Falcons return to the diamond on Wednesday, March 4 with a road showdown against in-state foe Eastern Connecticut State University. First pitch is set for 3:00PM at the New England Baseball Complex in Northborough, Mass.