NEW HAVEN, Conn. – The Albertus Magnus College field hockey team opened the 2019 season with a hard-fought 3-1 loss to Dean College on Friday, Aug. 30, at Celentano Field. Sophomore Joselyn Streeto (New Haven, Conn.) scored the Falcons' second goal in program history in the third period.
FINAL: Dean 3 | Albertus Magnus 1
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (0-1) | Dean (1-0)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Dean opened the contest's scoring 21:15 into the game with an unassisted goal from Maire Brown. Brown found the back of the net again just over five minutes later to put the road team up 2-0.
The Falcons scored their first goal of the day on the aforementioned Streeto tally at the 1:19 mark of the third. Freshman Ariana Martin (Hamden, Conn.) found Streeto open in the circle when she turned and snuck a shot into the cage.
Unfortunately for Albertus Magnus, the Bulldogs built their lead to 3-1 with just over 15 minutes left in the game to hold off the Falcons' comeback attempt.
BETWEEN THE PIPES
- Albertus Magnus – Mikayla Lyston (Medford, N.Y.) (L, 0-1): 15 Shots on Goal | 3 Goals-Against | 12 Saves | 60 minutes
- Dean – Alexis Masse (W, 1-0): 3 Shot on Goal | 1 Goals-Against | 2 Save | 60 minutes
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- The Bulldogs outshot the Falcons, 19-7, as well as held the advantage in penalty corners, 12-4.
- Kat Conforti led all players with seven shots in the game, while Brown finished with six.
- Brown ended the day with five points on two goals and one assist.
- Martin paced Albertus with five shots, two of which were on goal.
- The Falcons had eight freshmen make their collegiate debuts today. Including Lyston and Martin, Alisandra Cochrane (Guilford, Conn.), Sire Toure (New York, N.Y.), Lillian Woods (New London, N.H.), Madison Duranleau (Wheelock, Vt.), Summer Bartwick (Seaford, N.Y.) and Shea Lawrie (Brookfield, Mass.) all debuted today.
The Falcons continue their four-game homestand to begin the year on Saturday, Sept. 7, with a 12:00 p.m. tilt against Elms College.