STANDISH, Maine –Albertus Magnus College field hockey freshman Mikayla Lyston (Medford, N.Y.) made a program-record 34 saves in the Falcons' 8-0 setback to Saint Joseph's College (Me.) on Saturday. The rookie's 34 saves are the most by a Division III player this season.
FINAL: Saint Joseph's 8 | Albertus Magnus 0
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (1-5, 0-2 GNAC) | Saint Joseph's (7-1, 2-0 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Monks jumped out to a commanding 4-0 lead after the first quarter. Saint Joseph's tallied a game-high 18 shots in the quarter, with four different players tallying a goal.
Saint Joseph's added two more goals in the second and one in both the third and fourth quarters to seal an 8-0 victory on its home turf. Libby Pomerleau led the way for the three-time defending Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) champs with six points on two goals and two assists.
Following a busy first quarter, Lyston settled in and made a whopping 27 stops through the rest of the game. Unfortunately, Lyston's defense did not translate into offense, as the Falcons did not register a shot in the contest.
BETWEEN THE PIPES
Albertus Magnus - Mikayla Lyston (L, 1-5): 42 Shots on Goal | 8 Goals-Against | 34 Saves | 60:00
Saint Joseph's - Alexandria Simpson (W, 7-1): 0 Shots on Goal | 0 Goals-Against | 0 Saves | 15:00
Isabella Anton: 0 Shots on Goal | 0 Goals-Against | 0 Saves | 45:00
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
• The Monks outshot the Falcons by a 58-0 margin.
• Saint Joseph's also held an 18-0 lead in penalty corners.
• Pomerleau paced all players with six points (2g, 2a).
• Lyston made 34 saves with a stellar .810, her second-best mark of the season.
• Lyston's 34 saves are a new program-record for the Falcons, topping her mark of 23 against Elms College on Sept. 7.
• Lyston's 34 saves are the most by an NCAA DIII player this season, five clear of the next closest competitor.
• A DIII goalkeeper has not made at least 34 saves in a game since the 2017-18 campaign.
• Today's meeting was a first between the Falcons and Monks.
The Falcons continue the GNAC portion of their schedule on Saturday, Sept. 28, against Rivier University. Albertus and Rivier are slated to begin at 1 p.m. in Nashua, N.H.