NASHUA, N.H. – A strong second quarter guided Rivier University past the Albertus Magnus College field hockey team, 6-0, in Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) play on Saturday afternoon in Nashua, N.H.
FINAL: Rivier 6 | Albertus Magnus 0
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (1-6, 0-3 GNAC) | Rivier (5-4, 2-1 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
After a hard-fought first quarter that featured just one Rivier goal, the Raiders found their stroke in the next frame taking a 5-0 advantage into the halftime break. All five Rivier scores came from different players, the first being a strike from Maegan Sheehy just 36 seconds into the contest.
Albertus settled in and allowed just one goal over the final two quarters. The Falcons held the Raiders to six shots in the second half, turning away all of them except a Carissa Letendre score 2:56 into the second quarter. The goal was Letendre's second of the day.
Unfortunately for the Falcons, they were unable to get their offense going this afternoon. The defense, however, was very busy, making 10 blocks and with starting keeper Mikayla Lyston (Medford, N.Y.) posting one save.
BETWEEN THE PIPES
Albertus Magnus - Mikayla Lyston (L, 1-6): 7 Shots on Goal | 6 Goals-Against | 1 Saves | 60:00
Rivier - Katie Olsen (W, 5-4): 0 Shots on Goal | 0 Goals-Against | 0 Saves | 60:00
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
• The Raiders were led on the day by Letendre, who had two shots on goal and three shots total.
• Grace Pierce, Streeter and Sheehy also finished with three shots, with the latter two tallying goals.
• Rivier led Albertus in shots (20-0), and corners (2-0).
• In their first season in the GNAC, the Falcons remain winless to start league play at 0-3.
• Albertus is 0-2 all-time against Rivier.
The Falcons take a short break from conference action on Wednesday, Oct. 2, to play The Sage Colleges at Celentano Field at 4 p.m.