New Haven, Conn. – The Albertus Magnus College field hockey team fell at home to Simmons University, 5-0, in a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) clash on Saturday afternoon at Celentano Field as part of Homecoming Weekend.
FINAL SCORE: Simmons University 5 | Albertus Magnus 0
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (1-10, 0-6 GNAC) | Simmons University (6-9, 3-3 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Simmon's Maggie Fuzak opened the scoring with her third goal of the season coming with 57 seconds left in the first quarter. Fuzak's goal held up as the only score of the half with Simmons taking a 1-0 edge into intermission.
The Sharks score twice in the third and two more times in the fourth quarter for the final four tallies of the match.
The Sharks goalkeeper Lucy McNamara stopped the only shot she faced to register her fourth shutout of the season, while freshman goalkeeper Mikayla Lyston (Medford, N.Y.) turned away 28 shots for the Falcons.
BETWEEN THE PIPES
- Albertus: Mikayla Lyston (L, 1-10) – 33 Shots on Goal | 5 Goals-Against | 28 Saves
- Simmons: Lucy McNamara (W, 6-8) – 1 Shot on Goal | 0 Goals-Against | 1 Save
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Simmons dominated possession of the ball with a 48-1 shot advantage.
- The Sharks also won the battle in penatly corners, 19-0.
- First year forward Ariana Martin (Hamden, Conn.) led the Albertus Magnus offense with a shot on goal.
- Lyston recorded her fourth 20-save performance of the season as well as extended her season total to 183 saves, ranking her first in the league.
The field hockey team returns to action on Wednesday, Oct. 23 with a home GNAC tilt against Johnson & Wales University. Game time is set for 4:00pm.
Prior to the start of Wednesday's game, the field hockey team will be honoring its four member senior class – Victoria Torres (West Haven, Conn.), Morgan Shura (Wallingford, Conn.), Veronica Colon (Newark, N.J.) and Monica Colon (Newark, N.J.).