This Week: The Albertus Magnus College men's basketball team hits the road for its first away game of the season this week. The Falcons travel along the shoreline to face in-state foe Mitchell on Wednesday evening. Last week, AMC opened the season with a 101-84 non-conference victory at home versus Purchase State.
Albertus Magnus (1-0) at Mitchell (1-1)
Wednesday, November 18, 2015 at 6:00 pm
Yarnall Athletic Center
New London, Conn.
Live Stats: Click here (All links will become active at the start of the contest)
Live Video: Click here
Last Meeting with the Mariners: Albertus Magnus cruised to a 119-88 win in New Haven against Mitchell last season. In the victory, the Falcons had four players score in double figures. Chaunce Dunbar led the way amongst the Albertus returners in the contest, scoring nine points, while Jaqhawn Walters added eight off the bench. Mitchell's top scorer in last year's game, Donavan McClean, is back and averaging 27 points a game this season. As a team Mitchell shot 40 percent from the field and just under eight percent from long range, making 1 of their 13 attempts, in the loss.
Scouting Mitchell: After a season-opening loss on the road against UMass Dartmouth, the Mariners bounced back with an 86-82 win versus Fitchburg State last time out. As a team, Mitchell is shooting 51 percent from beyond the arc and averaging just under 90 points per game. McClean leads the way offensively for the Mariners and he poured in 31 points against Fitchburg State. Senior guard Frank Martin is also a threat for Mitchell, avenging over 26 points per game and 4.5 assists per tilt.
- Freshman forward Shontaey Lovell was named the Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) Rookie of the Week as announced by the league office Monday afternoon. In his collegiate debut, Lovell scored a game-high 21 points with 17 rebounds and four blocks to lead the Falcons past Purchase State, 101-84. He knocked down 7-of-11 shots from the field off the bench and added a team-best five assists.
- The win against the Panthers marked the 58th consecutive for Albertus Magnus on its home floor, which is the best active streak at any level in the NCAA.
- The rule changes this year were evident in the opener as 65 fouls were called. Both the Falcons and the Purchase had multiple players foul out.
- Offensively, Walters had his best collegiate game last week, pouring in 19 points on 8-of-10 shooting and grabbing nine rebounds. Freshman guard Ryan Pittman added 15 points and four assists, while Dunbar netted 12 points thanks to knocking down a pair of shots from beyond the arc.
- Albertus won the battle of the boards against Purchase, 54-37, and dished out 18 assists on 35 made field goals.
-The Falcons are shooting 53 percent from the floor and their high-pressure defense is holding the opposition to just over 39 percent shooting.