Last Week: The Albertus Magnus College men's basketball team overcame a slow start to defeat visiting Norwich, 65-64, in the Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) opener for both teams last week. With their third straight win, Albertus Magnus improved to 3-0 on the year and 1-0 in league play. The Cadets came out of the gates charging, jumping out to an early 11-0 lead over the first six minutes of action. Albertus Magnus had trouble settling into a groove and missed their first 11 shots from the field. Over the first 10 minutes of action, the Falcons connected on just 1-of-18 shots as the Cadets built an early, 15-3, edge. Long-range shooting and pressure defense brought the hosts racing back into the game. Leading by one point and under 15 seconds left in regulation, freshman forward Shontaey Lovell sealed the Falcon victory with a steal at the top of the key.
This Week: The Falcons hit the road for a pair of conference clashes against Suffolk Tuesday and Emmanuel on Thursday. The two tilts mark the final GNAC games for Albertus Magnus in the calendar year. The team will face two non-conference opponents at home next week before entering the holiday break.
Albertus Magnus (3-0, 1-0) at Suffolk (2-3, 0-0)
Tuesday, December 1, 2015 at 7:00 pm
Live Stats: Click here (All links will become active at the start of the contest)
Live Video: Click here
Last Meeting with the Rams: Albertus Magnus defeated Suffolk three times last season, topping the Rams twice in the regular season and again in the GNAC Quarterfinals in New Haven. The Falcons won by an average margin of over 27 points and forced more than 15 turnovers per contest. In total, AMC held a commanding +44 rebounding margin.
Albertus Magnus (3-0, 1-0) at Emmanuel (0-3, 0-0)
Thursday, December 3, 2015 at 7:00 pm
Jean Yawkey Center
Live Stats: Click here
Live Video: Click here
Last Year Against the Saints: Albertus Magnus swept the season series with Emmanuel during the 2014-15 season. The Falcons scored a 26-point win on the road and outlasted the Saints, 99-89, later in the year in overtime at home. In the road victory, Albertus forced 22 turnovers and outscored Emmanuel, 26-2, in fastbreak points. In the overtime win, the Falcons erased an 11-point second-half deficit.
- The victory last week against Norwich marked the 59th consecutive for Albertus Magnus on its home floor, which is the best active streak at any level in the NCAA.
- For the third time this winter, Lovell was tabbed as the GNAC Corvias Rookie of the Week as announced by the league office Monday afternoon. He continued his hot start to the season versus the Cadets, recording his third straight double-double. Lovell scored a team-high 14 points and pulled down a game-best 17 rebounds. In his first collegiate start, he grabbed an impressive nine offensive rebounds and shot 6-of-14 from the field.
- As a team, Albertus Magnus is averaging over 88 points per game and shooting 46 percent from the field. The Falcons are averaging 48 rebounds per contest and a +9 rebounding margin.
- From three-point range, sophomore Chaunce Dunbar has knocked down a team-best nine treys, while senior Dayron Caldwell has hit five.
- Sophomore Jaqhawn Walters is averaging a team-high 31 minutes per game and scoring over 17 points. He is shooting 76 percent from the charity stripe and 57 percent from the field.
- Last time out, Albertus Magnus forced 21 turnovers. The Falcons also outscored the Cadets, 15-2, in fastbreak points and received 25 points off the bench compared to just six by Norwich.