Last Week: The Albertus Magnus College men's basketball team opened the 2016-17 season with a 101-81 setback on the road against No. 3 Babson in non-conference play last Tuesday. In the first game of the year for both teams, the host Beavers erased a six-point halftime deficit to take down the visiting Falcons. It was a tale of two halves for AMC as the guests shot 72.7 percent (8-of-11) from three-point range in the first half and 25 percent (2-of-8) in the final 20 minutes. The biggest difference in the contest was the points off turnovers as Babson scored 25 off Albertus miscues, while the Falcons had just 3 off Beaver turnovers.
This Week: Albertus Magnus hits the road once again to square off with Fitchburg State in non-conference action on Tuesday evening in the Bay State. In a battle of the birds (both teams are nicknamed Falcons), the squads have split their two meetings. AMC won the first match up in the early 90s and FSU topped Albertus Magnus last season in the Elm City.
Albertus Magnus (0-1) at Fitchburg State (1-2)
Tuesday, November 22, 2016 at 6:00 PM
Live Stats: Click here (All links will become active at the start of the contest)
Live Video: Click here
Last Year Versus the Falcons: Fitchburg State topped Albertus Magnus, 91-85, in New Haven last season. With the loss, the hosts move to 5-1 on the year and see their NCAA-best 59-game home winning streak come to an end. The guests from the Bay State notched their second victory in a row to improve to 5-5 overall. Albertus Magnus trailed by as many as 16 early in the second half, but saw its feverish come back fall just short. Over the final two and a half minutes of regulation, FSU closed on a 10-3 run, highlighted by making all six of their free-throw attempts.
- Albertus Magnus was picked to finish in the GNAC Preseason Poll. The Falcons earned 96 points thanks to garnering six of 10 first-place votes. It marked the seventh time in the last eight years that AMC was tabbed as the GNAC preseason favorite.
- The team returns a trio of starters from last season, including All-GNAC honoree Jaqhawn Walters. Last winter, Walters ranked sixth in the league in scoring (15.9 points per game) and was second in the conference in rebounding (10.4 boards per contest) as a sophomore. He was also one of three GNAC players to average a double-double in 2015-16.
- Walters had a game-high 22 points against the Beavers in the season opener on 10-of-19 shooting and pulled down eight rebounds to go along with four assists. Three other Falcons scored in double figures in a losing effort.
- As a team, Albertus Magnus knocked down over 44 percent of its shots from the field (30-68), highlighted by making 10-of-19 from three-point range. The Falcons were outrebounded by six, 41-35, against Babson and committed 17 turnovers.
- Freshman guard Jahmerikah Green-Younger had an impressive debut for Albertus Magnus, scoring 16 points to go along with three rebounds, one assist and two steals. Green-Younger showed off his range, knocking down 3-of-5 from beyond the arc and converting on 5-of-6 attempts from the charity stripe. He was named the GNAC Rookie of the Week on Monday.