Last Week: The Albertus Magnus men's basketball team went 3-0 at home last week, defeating Mitchell and Newbury in midweek, non-conference action before topping Suffolk in Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) play over the weekend. The Falcons enter the final week of the first semester with a 6-2 overall record and a 2-1 mark in league action. The Falcons topped the 100-point plateau twice last week, scoring 112 against the Nighthawks and 107 versus the Mariners. Senior guard Shaquille Mitchell averaged 22 points and seven rebounds per game last week and junior forward Jaqhawn Walters registered 18 points and grabbed 14 boards per contest.
This Week: Albertus Magnus closes out the first semester of play with a road non-conference showdown against New Jersey City University. The Gothic Knights are receiving votes and sit just outside the Top-25 in the most recent D3Hoops.com poll. The Falcons enter the tilt riding a three-game winning streak. Both of the AMC losses this season have come outside of the Elm City.
Albertus Magnus (6-2) at New Jersey City (8-1)
Saturday, December 17, 2016 at 3:00 PM
Jersey City, N.J.
John J. Moore Athletics and Fitness Center
Live Stats: Click here (All links will become active at the start of the contest)
Live Video: Click here
Series History: Albertus Magnus is 2-0 all-time against NJCU, winning by six during the 2014-15 campaign and by 14 in the 2013-14 season.
- Albertus Magnus was picked to finish in the GNAC Preseason Poll. The Falcons earned 96 points thanks to garnering six of 10 first-place votes. It marked the seventh time in the last eight years that AMC was tabbed as the GNAC preseason favorite.
- On Monday, Walters was named the GNAC Player of the Week. Walters becomes the first Falcon to earn Player of the Week accolades this season and the third to be honored overall after both freshmen Damian Grant and Jahmerikah Green-Younger received Rookie of the Week recognition earlier this year. Walters averaged over 18 points and grabbed 14 rebounds per game as Albertus Magnus went 3-0 last week at home. The 6-6 forward knocked down better than 52 percent (20-of-38) of his shots from the field to goal along with four assists per contest. He recorded a pair of double-doubles last week, highlighted by a 29-point, 16-rebound performance against in-state rival Mitchell. He capped off the week with 10 points and a season-best 18 boards in a GNAC win against Suffolk.
- Albertus Magnus has had four different leading scorers in its eight games this season. Seven different Falcons have scored in double figures this season in a game.
- Offensively, senior guard Devin Coleman is averaging a team-high 18 points per game and is shooting 44 percent from three-point range. Walters, Mitchell, Mason Jones and Ryan Pittman are all scoring 11 or more points per game as well this season.
- As a team, Albertus Magnus has knocked down over 47 percent of its shots from the field (249-of-530), highlighted by making 65-of-162 (40.1%) from three-point range.