FINAL SCORE: Albertus Magnus 76 | Lasell College 75
TEAM RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (12-3, 8-1) | Lasell College (10-6, 7-2)
NEW HAVEN, Conn. – With less than one second remaining in regulation, Grant Ellis (Newark, N.J.) of the Albertus Magnus men's basketball team calmly made three straight free-throws to lift the Falcons to a 76-75 victory over Lasell College on Tuesday evening in a crucial GNAC showdown at "The Nest".
HOW IT HAPPENED
It was an evenly matched first five minutes of play as both teams fought valiantly for the lead, forcing three ties, before Lasell took over on offense, 18-9. Albertus kept within arm's reach of the visitors as a two from Damian Grant (Waterbury, Conn.) cut the lead to within two, 26-24, with 4:58 remaining. However, the Lasers would close out the half with a 9-6 run to secure a five-point lead at the half, 35-30.
Albertus came out of the locker room with fire in its eyes as the Falcons opened the half with a 15-9 run to take a 45-44 lead over Lasell at the 15:57 mark. With the score tied at 49-49, Lasell regained control of the game extending its lead to nine, 60-51. Albertus continued to chip away at the Lasers' lead as a free throw of Jaqhawn Walters (Hartford, Conn.) brought the hosts to within one, 74-73, with 1:10 remaining.
With seven seconds on the clock, Ryan Jones went 1-for-2 at the line to give the visitors a two-point cushion, but Ellis secured the win with three-straight free throws with less than a second in regulation.
FIRST HALF STATS
- Both Albertus and Lasell shot below 20 percent from behind the arc and each only recorded two three's.
- John Powell of Lasell led the visitors with 20 first half points while Armin Omanovic collected 10.
- Albertus forced 10 Lasell turnovers compared to its five.
- Lasell outrebounded the hosts by a 29-19 advantage.
SECOND HALF STATS
- Grant led the defensive unit in the second with a team-high two blocks, while Ryan Pittman (Stratford, Conn.) picked up the third.
- Albertus shot better in the second shooting 53.3 percent from the floor, 33.3 percent from three and 70.6 percent from the line.
- Ellis had an impressive second half, scoring 12 of his 17 over 15 minutes of play.
- Albertus held the Lasers to 34.3 percent shooting from the floor and 26.7 percent from long range.
- Walters picked up a double-double on the evening, scoring a team-high 28 points and 18 rebounds.
- Ellis was the next and final Falcon to score in double-digits with 17.
- Lasell held a 52-38 edge over Albertus in rebounds as well as a 19-18 edge in second-chance points.
- The Falcons' bench contributed 11 of their 76 points.
The Falcons return to action on Saturday, January 21st at Anna Maria. Game time is set for 3 p.m.