FINAL SCORE: Saint Joseph (Me.) 95 | Albertus Magnus 90
TEAM RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (14-4, 10-2) | Saint Joseph (Me.) (11-8, 8-4)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Albertus and Saint Joseph's battled back-and-fourth through five lead changes and a tie until a three from John Crawley put the hosts up 9-6 at the 15:35 mark. Junior Erik Langston (Stratford, Conn.) gave the Falcons a one-point lead, 12-11, but the visitors would find themselves trailing the Monks by eight, 20-12, with 10:19 remaining.
Albertus Magnus continued to stay hot and began the second half with a 12-5 run to cut the hosts' lead to within three, 51-48. Saint Joseph's managed to maintain its double-digit lead over the visitors until a three from Grant Ellis (Newark, N.J.) brought the score to within five, 87-82, with less than a minute to play.
John Crawley pushed the Monks lead back up to seven, 91-84, following two made free throws with 22 seconds remaining. However, at the five second mark Ellis made a crucial three pointer, cutting the score to three, 93-90, but the Falcons would come up short, 95-90.
FIRST HALF STATS
- Albertus registered 16 of its 39 points off turnovers by Saint Joe's.
- Saint Joseph's held a 22-15 edge over the Falcons in rebounds.
- Saint Joseph's bench scored 23 of the 43 points in the first.
- The Falcons shot 45.4 percent (15-of-33) from the floor and registered only eight points in the paint.
- Grant Ellis (Newark, N.J.) scored 25 of the Falcons 39 points in the first.
SECOND HALF STATS
- Albertus forced 10 Saint Joseph turnovers compared to its four in the second.
- Saint Joseph outshot the Falcons by one point, 52-51.
- Ellis and Jaqhawn Walters (Hartford, Conn.) recorded a combined 25 points out of the Falcons 51 second half points.
- Ryan Pittman (Stratford, Conn.) posted a team-high five assists and three steals in the Falcons second half comeback.
- The Falcons shot 42.2 percent (19-of-45) from the field and registered only six three-pointers.
- Ellis finished the game with a career-high 39 points, three rebounds, an assist and a steal.
- Walters was just an assist shy of recording a triple-double as the junior posted 16 points, 17 rebounds, nine assists and two steals.
- Albertus held a 10-5 edge in steals while also forcing 20 Saint Joseph turnovers.
- Both teams shot 12 three-pointers over the full 40 minutes.
- Saint Joseph outrebounded the Falcons 50-36.
The Falcons return to action on February 1st against Johnson & Wales.