FINAL SCORE: Albertus Magnus 86 | Lasell 78
TEAM RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (16-4, 12-2) | Lasell (13-8, 10-4)
NEWTON, Mass. – Five different members of the Albertus Magnus College men's basketball team reached double digits as the Falcons improve to 16-4 overall after defeating GNAC foe Lasell, 86-78, on Saturday afternoon at "The Athletic Center".
HOW IT HAPPENED
Albertus Magnus broke the silence as a Liam Perryman (Poughkeepsie, N.Y.) scored the first basket of the game at the 18:48 mark before Lasell found themselves up four, 8-4, heading into a timeout. With the score tied at 15-15, Albertus Magnus went on a 13-3 run to push its lead to 10, 28-18, with 8:14 remaining.
Over the next four minutes of play, Lasell battled back to within two, 35-33, after a 15-7 run sparked by John Powell's free throw. However, Albertus Magnus would gain control of the game and would lead 45-41 heading into halftime.
Three minutes into the second half, Lasell tied the game up at 49-49, but the Falcons managed to regain their lead and kept it above double-digits until the final five minutes of play.
Up by 14, 78-65, Albertus saw its lead dwindle as the Lasers rallied off 10 straight points to cut the lead to three, 78-75, with 1:09 remaining. Albertus sealed the deal after ending the game with a 8-3 run.
FIRST HALF STATS
- The Falcons' largest lead of the game was at the 7:19 mark in the first as the visitors' led by 13.
- Sophomore Ryan Pittman (Stratford, Conn.) posted a team-high 17 points as well as chimed in with four assists and a block.
- Albertus shot 51.4 percent (19-of-37) while the Lasers shot 41.2 percent (14-of-34) from the field.
- Lasell outrebounded the Falcons 14-13, but Albertus played good defense, forcing seven Lasell turnovers.
SECOND HALF STATS
- Both teams made four three-pointer in the final 20 minutes of play.
- Albertus did a better job in rebounding as the Falcons recorded 27 compared to Lasell's 24.
- Similar to the first, Ryan Pittman (Startford, Conn.) and Jaqhawn Walters (Hartford, Conn.) collected a block.
- Senior Devin Coleman (Bridgeport, Conn.) led the way for the Falcons with a team-high 21 points as well as added three rebounds and three assists to his stat line.
- Junior Jaqhawn Walters (Hartford, Conn.) earned his 15th double-double of the season as the forward recorded 17 points, 19 rebounds, three assists, two steals and two blocks over 17 minutes of play.
- Armin Omanovic of Lasell recorded a team-high 24 points while Tom Blair and Yordan Villalon collected 21 and 16 points, respectively.
- Albertus and Lasell each recorded 10 three-pointers, 38 points in the paint, 16 assists, two fastbreak points and 20 second chance points.
The Falcons return to action on Tuesday, Feb. 7th at Mount Ida.