Albertus Magnus College
Men's Basketball Weekly Preview
GNAC TOURNAMENT QUARTERFINALS
POST SEASON BEGINS
The Albertus Magnus College men's basketball team has earned the No. 1 seed in the GNAC Championship and will host No. 8 Anna Maria on Tuesday, February 21st for a quarterfinal matchup. Tip-off is slated for 7 p.m.
GNAC TOURNAMENT BRACKET
Quarterfinals - Tuesday, February 21
Game 1: #8 Anna Maria at #1 Albertus Magnus - 7:00 PM
Game 2: #5 Saint Joseph's of Maine at #4 Mount Ida - 7:00 PM
Game 3: #6 Emmanuel at #3 Lasell - 7:00 PM
Game 4: #7 Suffolk at #2 Johnson & Wales - 7:30 PM
Semifinals - Thursday, February 23
Game 5: Game 1 winner vs. Game 2 winner
Game 6: Game 3 winner vs. Game 4 winner
Final - Saturday, February 25
Game 7: Game 5 winner vs. Game 6 winner
LAST WEEK RECAP
Walters Nets 1,000th Points in Win over Saint – RECAP/BOXSCORE
- Junior Jaqhawn Walters (Hartford, Conn.) netted his 1,000th career point in the Falcons' win over Emmanuel (Mass.), 93-82.
- Liam Perryman (Poughkeepsie, N.Y.) set a new career-high in rebounds (14) and in blocks (four).
- Albertus dominated on the glass pulling down 62 rebounds as well as recorded 32 second chance points and 52 points in the paint.
- The Saints held a 14-6 edge in steals, but the Falcons held a 6-3 edge in blocks.
Victory on Senior Day – RECAP/BOXSCORE
- In his final home regular season contest, senior Grant Ellis (Newark, N.J.) scored a team-high 37 points to lead the Albertus Magnus College men's basketball team past visiting Mount Ida, 110-89.
- The men's basketball team honored its three-member senior class – Grant Eliis (Newark, N.J.), Shaquille Mitchell (Linden, N.J.) and Devin Coleman (Bridgeport, Conn.)
- Along with his 37 points, Ellis finished with three rebounds and a steal
- Four of the Falcons five starters finished in double-figures.
- Jaqhawn Walters (Hartford, Conn.) also finished with a double-double as the forward collected 27 points, 15 rebounds, four assists, two steals and a block.
SCOUTING THE FALCONS
- Albertus Magnus enters the post-season riding a six-game winning streak. The Falcons are making their 17th appearance in the GNAC Tournament, owning a 25-10 overall record in the event.
- Jaqhawn Walters (Hartford, Conn.) was tabbed as the GNAC Player of the Week for the sixth time on Monday. He averaged 30.5 points, 19.0 rebounds and 3.5 assists per game while shooting 48.9% (22- 45 FG) in a 2-0 week.
- The Falcons lead the GNAC in points per game with 87.7 while hitting over 47 percent of their shots from the field. The squad also leads the conference in blocks with 4.5 a game.
- Walters not only leads the team with 13.7 rebounds a game, but he also leads the GNAC. He also ranks fifth in the league shooting 54.5 percent from the floor and ranks third with 20.7 points per game.
ALL-TIME VS. THE AMCATS
Albertus Magnus holds a 11-4 edge over Anna Maria in the all-time series. The Falcons also hold a 5-1 record at home against the AMCATS.
SCOUTING THE AMCATS
- Anna Maria concluded the 2016-17 season with an overall record of 5-20 and a conference mark of 5-13. In the month of February, the AMCats have posted a record of 2-6.
- The AMCats leads the conference with 15.0 personal fouls per game.
- Mike Rapoza leads the conference shooting 63.0 percent from the field as well is averaging 17.2 points and 12.6 rebounds per game.
- Anna Maria is averaging 77.9 points per game while shooting 44.4 percent from the field, placing them third in the conference.
- Last year, Anna Maria lost in the quarterfinals to Emmanuel, 91-89.
THIS SEASON VS. THE AMCATS