Albertus Magnus College
Men's Basketball Weekly Preview
GNAC TOURNAMENT SEMIFINALS
Albertus Magnus College (21-4)
Mount Ida (17-9)
Feb. 23 • 7 p.m. • New Haven, Conn.
Links: LIVE STATS | LIVE VIDEO
POST SEASON BEGINS
Following Tuesday's night quarterfinal win over eighth-seeded Anna Maria, top-seeded Albertus Magnus will host fourth-seeded Mount Ida on Thursday, February 23, at 7:00 pm in the GNAC Semifinals.
GNAC TOURNAMENT BRACKET
Quarterfinals - Tuesday, February 21
Game 1: #1 Albertus Magnus 92, #8 Anna Maria 67
Game 2: #4 Mount Ida 91, #5 Saint Joseph's (ME) 83
Game 3: #3 Lasell 76, #6 Emmanuel 74
Game 4: #2 Johnson & Wales 83, #7 Suffolk 68
Semifinals - Thursday, February 23
Game 5: #1 Albertus Magnus vs #4 Mount Ida, 7 PM
Game 6: #2 Johnson & Wales vs #3 Lasell, 7 PM
Final - Saturday, February 25
Game 7: Game 5 winner vs. Game 6 winner
FALCONS CRUISE PAST ANNA MARIA IN QUARTERFINALS
FINAL SCORE: Albertus Magnus 92 | Anna Maria 67 – RECAP/BOXSCORE
TEAM RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (21-4) | Anna Maria (5-21)
HIGHLIGHT: Senior Shaquille Mitchell (Linden, N.J.) recorded a team-high 22 points, while shooting 53.3 percent from the floor and 36.3 percent from behind the arc, team-high four steals, three assists and two rebounds.
SCOUTING THE FALCONS
- Runners-up in last year's championship game, Albertus Magnus had won the previous four GNAC championships and have won six titles in their history, including the first ever GNAC men's basketball crown in 1996.
- At home, Albertus is shooting an impressive 49.3 percent from the floor while averaging 92.7 points per game compared to 45.1 percent shooting on the road.
- The Falcons' offensive unit has five players averaging in double-figures including Jaqhawn Walters (Hartford, Conn.) who leads the team and ranks third in the league with 21.4 points per game.
- Walters also has recorded 13 straight double-doubles in the last 15 games as well as totaled 21 thus far.
- Albertus has done a great job defensively holding its opponent to shoot only 32.5 percent from behind the arc as well as averaging 4.4 blocks per game, ranking them first in the conference in both categories.
ALL-TIME VS. THE MUSTANGS
Albertus Magnus leads Mount Ida in the all-time series 18-2. The Falcons also hold a 10-0 record at home against the Mustangs.
SCOUTING THE MUSTANGS
- The Mustangs clawed their way to their historic victory on Tuesday night, beating fifth seeded Saint Joseph's Maine 91-83 behind 18 points from junior captain Kevin Conner (Mansfield, Mass.).
- This season, Ethan Dujon is leading the Mustang's in scoring with 16.0 points per game as well as shooting 51.8 percent from the field and 43.9 percent from three-point range.
- Mount Ida is leading the GNAC shooting 36.6 percent from behind the arc as well as ranks second in field goal percentage with 44.6 percent.
- In the month of Febraury, Mount Ida posted a record of 5-2, including a 2-1 record on the road.
- Offensively, Mount Ida is leading the conference averaging 13.4 turnovers per game.
THIS SEASON VS. THE MUSTANGS