Albertus Magnus College
Men's Basketball Weekly Preview
GNAC TOURNAMENT CHAMPIONSHIP
The top-seeded Albertus Magnus College men's basketball team knocked off No. 4 seed Mount Ida, 107-68, on Thursday night to advance to this Saturday's Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) Championship. The Falcons will square off with the No. 3 seed Lasell College at 1:00 pm inside the Cosgrove Marcus Messer Athletic Center with the conference crown on the line. The winner of the contest will determine the league's automatic qualifier for the NCAA Division III Championship Tournament.
GNAC TOURNAMENT BRACKET
Quarterfinals - Tuesday, February 21
Game 1: #1 Albertus Magnus 92, #8 Anna Maria 67
Game 2: #4 Mount Ida 91, #5 Saint Joseph's (ME) 83
Game 3: #3 Lasell 76, #6 Emmanuel 74
Game 4: #2 Johnson & Wales 83, #7 Suffolk 68
Semifinals - Thursday, February 23
Game 5: #1 Albertus Magnus 107, #4 Mount Ida 68
Game 6: #3 Lasell 68, #2 Johnson & Wales 61
Final - Saturday, February 25
Game 7: #1 Albertus Magnus vs. #3 Lasell - 1 p.m. at "The Nest"
FALCONS CRUISE PAST ANNA MARIA IN QUARTERFINALS
FINAL SCORE: Albertus Magnus 92 | Anna Maria 67 – RECAP/BOXSCORE
TEAM RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (21-4) | Anna Maria (5-21)
HIGHLIGHT: Senior Shaquille Mitchell (Linden, N.J.) recorded a team-high 22 points, while shooting 53.3 percent from the floor and 36.3 percent from behind the arc, team-high four steals, three assists and two rebounds.
FALCONS DEFEAT MOUNT IDA TO ADVANCE TO GNAC CHAMPIONSHIP
FINAL SCORE: Albertus Magnus 107 | Mount Ida 68 - RECAP/BOXSCORE
TEAM RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (22-4) | Mount Ida (17-10)
HIGHLIGHT: Junior Jaqhawn Walters (Hartford, Conn.) recorded his 22nd double-double of the season, 23 points and 10 rebounds, as well as collected two blocks and an assist.
SCOUTING THE FALCONS
- Runners-up in last year's championship game, Albertus Magnus had won the previous four GNAC championships and have won six titles in their history, including the first ever GNAC men's basketball crown in 1996.
- The Falcons are entering Saturday's game on an eight game winning streak as well as holds an unbeaten record of 14-0 at home this season.
- At home, Albertus is shooting an impressive 49.5 percent from the floor while averaging 93.7 points per game compared to 45.1 percent shooting on the road.
- Junior Jaqhawn Walters (Hartford, Conn.) continues to lead the Falcons averaging 20.6 points per game, but sits behind Lasell's senior guard Armin Omanovic in total points.
- Albertus has done a great job defensively holding its opponent to shoot only 32.5 percent from behind the arc as well as averaging 4.6 blocks per game, ranking them first in the conference in both categories.
ALL-TIME VS. THE LASERS
Albertus Magnus leads Lasell in the all-time series 17-6.
SCOUTING THE LASERS
- Lasell enters the contest riding double momentum from both the GNAC quarter and semifinals, most recently upsetting the second-seeded Wildcats of Johnson & Wales, 68-61, Thursday evening. The Lasers captured their sixth straight win, and enter the championship round with an overall record of 19-8.
- This is Lasell's first Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) Championship since 2008.
- Lasell's offensive unit has three players averaging in double-figures, including Armin Omanovic who leads the league in points.
- As a team, the Lasers are shooting 44.1 percent from the field, 35.4 percent from behind the arc and 68.7 percent from the free throw line.
- Defensively, Lasell is first in the league holding its opponent to shoot around 40.2 percent from the floor as well as averages 32.0 defensive rebounds a game.
THIS SEASON VS. THE LASERS