Albertus Magnus College
Men's Basketball Weekly Preview
Albertus Magnus (0-0)
No. 25 Swarthmore (1-0)
Saturday, Nov. 18 • 6 p.m. • Swarthmore, Penn.
A NEW YEAR
The Albertus Magnus College men's basketball team kicks off the 2017-18 campaign with a road non-conference tilt at No. 25 Swarthmore Saturday evening at 6 p.m.
LAST YEAR RECAP
- The Falcons concluded the 2016-17 season with an overall record of 23-5 and a conference mark of 16-2.
- Albertus Magnus won their seventh GNAC title after defeating GNAC rival Lasell College, 101-83, in the championship game.
- Following the win over the Lasers, the Falcons made their sixth appearance in the NCAA Division III Tournament.
- Head Coach Mitch Oliver earned his 200th career win in the 85-82 win over Anna Maria back on January 21, 2017.
ALL-TIME VS. SWARTHMORE
This will be the first meeting between the two schools.
- Swarthmore was selected as the Centennial Conference men's basketball preseason favorite to defend their title in their conference preseason poll.
- Swarthmore opened the winter campaign with a 111-89 win over Hood.
- Swarthmore finished 2016-17 with an overall record of 23-6. The team ended the season with a 77-67 loss to No. 2 Christopher Newport University in the second round of the NCAA tournament.
- The Garnet returns two All-Conference players from 2016-17, including Player of Year Cam Wiley. Along with Wiley, they return two starters.
- Last season, the team averaged 75.1 points per game while shooting 45.5 percent from the floor, 37.7 percent from behind the arc and 72.1 percent from the line.
- Wiley led the Garnet last season in points averaging 18.5 per game as well as recorded 4.6 rebounds, 3.1 assists a game.
Albertus Magnus returns 11 players from last year's squad – Ryan Pittman, Mason Jones, Randy Thomas, Jemaa Yuori, Brian Hardy, Aaron Fox, Jaqhawn Walters, Damian Grant, Jahmerikah Green-Younger, Liam Perryman and Erick Langston.
MEN'S BASKETBALL LANDS ATOP OF GNAC PRESEASON POLL
Link: Complete GNAC Release
The Albertus Magnus College men's basketball team received nine of 11 first-place votes to land atop the Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) preseason poll. The Falcons earned 118 total points and finished 15 points ahead of second-place Johnson & Wales.
WALTERS EARNS END OF THE YEAR HONORS
Last year, Jaqhawn Walters (Hartford, Conn.) received year-end honors after finishing his junior year averaging 20.7 points, 13.4 rebounds and 3.0 assists per game. He was named to the 2017 D3Hoops All-American Second Team, 2017 All-Region Second Team and earned a spot on the NABC Division III All-District Second Team. He was also named GNAC Tournament Most Valuable Player after the Falcons defeated Lasell College in the GNAC Championship.
A TRIO OF FALCONS EARN GNAC HONORS
Forward Jaqhawn Walters (Hartford, Conn.), guard Grant Ellis (Newark, N.J.) and guard Devin Coleman (Bridgeport, Conn.) earned All-Conference honors. Walters was named the Great Northeast Athletic Conference Player of the Year as well as earned First Team honors. Ellis earned Second Team honors while Coleman earned Third Team. Guard Jemaa Yuori (Ghana) earned a spot on the GNAC All-Sportsmanship Team.
YUORI REPRESENTS MEN'S BASKETBALL ON GNAC ALL-ACADEMIC TEAM
The Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) announced its All-Academic Team for the 2016-17 school year. Fifty-seven student-athletes from Albertus Magnus College were among the 893 members, including Jemaa Yuori.
Albertus Magnus returns to action on Saturday, Nov. 25 as the Falcons host WPI. Tip-off is set for 3 p.m. at the Cosgrove Marcus Messer Athletic Center.