Link: BOX SCORE
New Haven, Conn. – Behind a season-high 31 points from senior forward Jaqhawn Walters (Hartford, Conn.), the Albertus Magnus College men's basketball team defeated Babson College by a score of 85-81 in non-conference action Wednesday evening at "The Nest" inside the Cosgrove Marcus Messer Athletic Center.
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (2-1) | Babson (3-3)
SCORE: Albertus Magnus 85 | Babson 81
HOW IT HAPPENED
Babson controlled the opening eight minutes of the half, leading the Falcons by 10, 18-8, before taking its largest lead of the game at the 9:29 mark on a made layup from Brandon Johnson, 26-13. However, a layup from Mason Jones (Manchester, N.J.) would spark a 7-0 run that brought the Falcons to within five, 26-21. Albertus Magnus kept within reach of the Beavers and would trail by four, 39-35, heading into halftime.
The Beavers continued their run into the second and controlled the majority of the half, pushing their lead to 10, 49-39, with 17:19 left to play. With the clock winding down, Albertus Magnus continued to threaten the visitors to within one on three different occasions before taking first lead of the game, 75-74, at the 4:11 mark on a made jumper from Walters.
From that point on, the Falcons were able to keep the Beavers at bay to secure the home win, despite the visitors cutting the lead to one, 82-81, with a minute remaining in regulation.
- At the 4:11 mark, Walters gave the Falcons their first lead of the game, 75-74, on a made jumper.
- Albertus Magnus shot a season-best 54.7 percent from the floor and 36.4 percent from behind the arc.
- Following tonight's win, the Falcons tie the all-time series with the Beavers, 1-1.
- Albertus Magnus has won 85 of its last 88 games dating back to December 8, 2011.
- The Falcons improve their home winning streak to 20 games.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Along with the 31 points, Walters collected his second double-double of the season, 14 rebounds.
- Junior Mason Jones (Manchester, N.J.) posted his second straight 20-point performance with 21 points on 9-of-23 shooting from the field and 1-of-6 from three-point range.
- Four players scored in double-figures for the Beavers, including a 23-point performance from Nick Comenale.
- Babson – 48.4% (field), 34.8% (three point) and 72.2% (free throw)
- Albertus Magnus – 54.7% (field), 36.4% (three point) and 47.8% (free throw)
- Senior Amir Maddred (Camden, N.J.) rounded out the double-digit scorers for the hosts with a season-best 10 points, five rebounds, two assists and a block.
- Albertus Magnus held a 38-31 edge in rebounds as well as dominated in the paint, 50-38.
- The Beavers' bench outshot the hosts 21-9.
Albertus Magnus returns to action this Saturday, Dec. 2 as the Falcons open up GNAC play against new opponent Regis (Mass.). Tip-off is set for 3 p.m. at "The Nest".