Link: BOX SCORE
New Haven, Conn. – Behind a 25-point performance from senior Jaqhawn Walters (Hartford, Conn.), the Albertus Magnus College men's basketball team improves to 3-1, 1-0 on the year as the Falcons topped Regis (Mass.), 88-56, Saturday afternoon in their GNAC opener at the Cosgrove Marcus Messer Athletic Center.
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (3-1, 1-0) | Regis (Mass.) (3-4, 1-1)
SCORE: Albertus Magnus 88 | Regis (Mass.) 58
HOW IT HAPPENED
Albertus Magnus blew open the game early taking a 20-9 lead midway through the first, but a 16-7 run by the visitors brought the score to within a basket, 27-25, with 3:42 left in the half. Albertus Magnus responded back pushing their lead to double-digits and would hold a 39-28 lead into halftime.
Regis (Mass.) continued to chip away at the Falcons lead' and found themselves within seven, 43-30, on a made layup from Juvens Dalger with 18:31 remaining to play. However, the Falcons' lead would expand to as high as 32 points, with 1:35 left in regulation, before settling on the final score, 88-58.
- Albertus Magnus has won 86 of its last 89 games dating back to December 8, 2011.
- The Falcons improve their home winning streak to 21 games.
- Freshman Marquise Owens (Thorafare, N.J.) and sophomore Hanif Bilal (Winston-Salem, N.C.) each posted a career-high nine points in the win.
- Owens also shot a career-best 100 percent from behind the arc.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Twelve players for the Falcons scored at least two points in the win.
- Junior Mason Jones (Manchester, N.J.) rounded out the double-digit scorers for the Falcons with 14 points as well as tallied two rebounds, five assists and two steals.
- Shawn Wedderburn and Marc Trinidad led the offensive unit for the Pride with a team-high eight points.
- Albertus Magnus dominated in paint, 54-28, and in fast break points, 18-2.
- Regis (Mass.) out rebounded the Falcons by a 44-40 edge.
- Four different players registered a block for the Falcons.
- Albertus Magnus – 56.1% (floor), 40.0% (free throw/three point)
- Regis (Mass.) – 32.3% (floor), 16.7% (three point) and 56.5% (free throw)
- The Falcons won the defensive battle, 33-28 edge in rebounds, but the Pride shined offensively, 16-7.
Albertus Magnus returns to action next week against Keene State, Mitchell and Norwich. Regis (Mass.) next game is on December 30 against Westfield State.