New London, Conn. - Led behind four double-digit performances, including a season-high 23-points from junior Ryan Pittman (Stratford, Conn.), the Albertus Magnus College men's basketball team defeated in-state rival Mitchell College, 91-81, Thursday evening in non-conference play.
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (4-2) | Mitchell College (2-5)
SCORE: Albertus Magnus 91 | Mitchell College 81
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Falcons came out hot to start the second half, pushing the margin to 56-41 by the 16:16 mark. Maddred scored the first five points of the period while Walters added a pair of buckets.
A Pittman three with 10:52 to play gave Albertus Magnus its biggest lead of the night at 71-52. Mitchell eventually whittled the deficit back to 10 but never got within single digits.
- Following tonight's win, Albertus Magnus leads Mitchell in the all-time series, 12-3.
- The Falcons are no 5-1 on the road against the Mariners.
- Tonight's 91-point performance is a season-high for the Falcons.
- Albertus Magnus tied its season-high in rebounds with 50 and blocks with four.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Albertus Magnus - 41% (field goal), 32% (three point) and 65.5% (free throw)
- Mitchell - 42.4% (field goal), 46.7% (three point) and 90% (free throw)
- The Falcons finished with 21 offensive rebounds—including 14 in the second half—and outscored the Mariners 25-8 on second-chance points.
- Senior Jaqhawn Walters (Hartford, Conn.) added a double-double of 22 points and a career-high 24 rebounds to go with two blocks.
- Colizel Lewis netted a season-high 23 points and shot a perfect 10-for-10 from the free throw line to pace the Mariners
- Maddred and Jones also scored in double digits with 13 and 11 points, respectively.
- Mitchell's bench outscore the Falcons 18-13.
Albertus Magnus returns to action at Norwich University on Saturday at 1 p.m. in a GNAC showdown. Mitchell will next play at Connecticut College on Saturday, December 9 at 3 p.m.