Albertus Magnus College
Men's Basketball Weekly Preview
Albertus Magnus (5-3, 2-0)
Suffolk University (6-4, 1-0)
Saturday, Jan. 6 • 1 p.m. • New Haven, Conn.
The Albertus Magnus College men's basketball team opens up 2018 with one game this week as the Falcons resume GNAC play with a home conference tilt against Suffolk University on Saturday, January 6th at 1 p.m.
ALL-TIME VS. SUFFOLK
- Albertus Magnus holds a 23-15 edge over the Rams in the all-time series.
- At home, the Falcons are 14-5 against Suffolk.
LAST TIME VS. SUFFOLK
GAME (12/10/16): Albertus Magnus 81 | Suffolk 76 – RECAP / BOX SCORE
GAME (1/12/17): Albertus Magnus 72 | Suffolk 59 – RECAP / BOX SCORE
Suffolk has been firing on all cylinders as of late, running their win streak to five with a convincing 93-66 win over Framingham State Wednesday, to take a 6-4 record back into conference competition. The Rams opened their GNAC slate with Dec. 2 with a 68-56 victory over Saint Joseph's (Maine), which marked the first time since 2013 Suffolk lifted the lid on league play with a win.
As a team, Suffolk is pouring in 72.4 ppg paced by Thomas Duffy's 17.6 ppg effort. Michael Hagopian joins the sophomore guard in double figures with a 15.2 ppg performance. Brendan Mulson adds 8.9 ppg to the offensive unit with Jim Djema (7.7 ppg) also being a consistent contributor.
On the glass, the Rams bring down 32.3 rpg receiving 5.4 rpg and 5.2 rpg from Mulson and Querusion, respectively.
- The Falcons finish the first half of the season 5-3 to put them over .500 on the year.
- Albertus Magnus picked up key non-conference wins over WPI and Babson.
- The Falcons posted two two-game winning streaks.
- The team finished the month of December with a 3-2 record, including the 81-80 loss to New Jersey City back on Dec. 16.
- Albertus Magnus is 3-1 at home.
WEEK FIVE RECAP
Game 8: New Jersey City 81 | Albertus Magnus 80 – RECAP / BOX SCORE
NO STOPPING WALTERS
- Jaqhawn Walters
- leads the conference averaging 26.0 points and 12.3 rebounds per game.
- third in the conference with a 57.2 field goal percentage
WALTERS IN THE NCAA
- Jaqhawn Walters
- Second in Division III in offensive rebounds per game with 4.8
- Fifth in Division III in rebounds per game.
- Eighth in Division III in points per game.
Albertus Magnus returns 11 players from last year's squad – Ryan Pittman, Mason Jones, Randy Thomas, Jemaa Yuori, Brian Hardy, Aaron Fox, Jaqhawn Walters, Damian Grant, Jahmerikah Green-Younger, Liam Perryman and Erick Langston.
MEN'S BASKETBALL LANDS ATOP OF GNAC PRESEASON POLL
Link: Complete GNAC Release
The Albertus Magnus College men's basketball team received nine of 11 first-place votes to land atop the Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) preseason poll. The Falcons earned 118 total points and finished 15 points ahead of second-place Johnson & Wales.
TICKETING INFORMATION FOR AMC BASKETBALL GAMES
All Albertus Magnus men's & women's basketball regular-season games are subject to tickets and admission charges. Tickets are $3 for adults/senior citizens and children 12 & under (accompanied by an adult) are free. Albertus Magnus students, faculty and staff receive free admission to the event with a valid ID.
Individual season passes are also available and priced at $20. The season pass allows (1) admission to any/both men's and women's basketball regular-season games.
LAST YEAR RECAP
- The Falcons concluded the 2016-17 season with an overall record of 23-5 and a conference mark of 16-2.
- Albertus Magnus won their seventh GNAC title after defeating GNAC rival Lasell College, 101-83, in the championship game.
- Following the win over the Lasers, the Falcons made their sixth appearance in the NCAA Division III Tournament.
- Head Coach Mitch Oliver earned his 200th career win in the 85-82 win over Anna Maria back on January 21, 2017.
WALTERS EARNS END OF THE YEAR HONORS
Last year, Jaqhawn Walters (Hartford, Conn.) received year-end honors after finishing his junior year averaging 20.7 points, 13.4 rebounds and 3.0 assists per game. He was named to the 2017 D3Hoops All-American Second Team, 2017 All-Region Second Team and earned a spot on the NABC Division III All-District Second Team. He was also named GNAC Tournament Most Valuable Player after the Falcons defeated Lasell College in the GNAC Championship.
A TRIO OF FALCONS EARN GNAC HONORS
Forward Jaqhawn Walters (Hartford, Conn.), guard Grant Ellis (Newark, N.J.) and guard Devin Coleman (Bridgeport, Conn.) earned All-Conference honors. Walters was named the Great Northeast Athletic Conference Player of the Year as well as earned First Team honors. Ellis earned Second Team honors while Coleman earned Third Team. Guard Jemaa Yuori (Ghana) earned a spot on the GNAC All-Sportsmanship Team.
YUORI LANDS SPOT ON GNAC ALL-ACADEMIC TEAM
The Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) announced its All-Academic Team for the 2016-17 school year. Fifty-seven student-athletes from Albertus Magnus College were among the 893 members, including Jemaa Yuori.
Albertus Magnus returns to action next week against Mount Ida, Rivier and Emmanuel (Mass.).