Boston, Mass. - Led behind four double-digit performance, including a career-high 24 points from senior Amir Maddred (Camden, N.J.), the Albertus Magnus College men's basketball team defeated Emmanuel (Mass.) by a score of 84-68 Saturday afternoon in GNAC action.
FINAL SCORE: Albertus Magnus 84 | Emmanuel (Mass.) 68
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (9-3, 6-0) | Emmanuel (Mass.) (1-13, 0-5)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Emmanuel (Mass.) controlled the opening five minutes of play until the 11:57 mark as Jahmerikah Green-Younger (Norwalk, Conn.) gave the Falcons a one-point lead, 12-11, on two made free throws. Albertus Magnus continued to control the temp and found themselves up 16, 31-15, following a 19-4 run that included three straight three's from Green-Younger.
Three minutes later, Albertus Magnus struck again netting four straight points, pushing its lead to 18, 35-17, but the Saints battled to within 14, 35-21, forcing Coach Mitch Oliver to call a timeout. With two minutes remaining in the half, both teams battled on offense and the Falcons would hold a 42-24 lead at the half.
Emmanuel (Mass.) came out with fire in its eyes as the Saints used a 16-8 run to bring the score to within 10, 50-40, with 12:02 left to play. At the 7:14 mark, Zachary Crisafulli brought the hosts to within single digits, 58-49, for the first time since the first half, but it wasn't enough as the Falcons pushed their lead back up to double digits and never looked back.
- Albertus Magnus leads Emmanuel in the all-time series 23-11.
- Jaqhawn Walters (Hartford, Conn.) 27-point performance pushes his career-point total to 1,415, ranking him seventh all-time.
- Walters now has a total of 14 rebounds and is just 72 shy of recording 1,000. He will be the third player in the program to accomplish this milestone.
- Green-Younger shot an impressive 100 percent from behind the arc and at the free throw line.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Albertus Magnus - 50% (field goal), 35.7% (three point) and 69.7% (free throw)
- Emmanuel (Mass.) - 49.1% (field goal), 46.2% (three point) and 71.4% (free throw)
- Walters recorded his ninth total double-double of the season.
- Green-Younger rounded out the double-digit scorers for the Falcons with 15 points, three steals, a rebound and an assist.
- Joe Tamburro paced the Saints' offense with a team-high 21 points on 7-of-17 shooting from the field and 4-of-9 showing from behind the arc.
- Along with his career-high 24 points, Maddred tied his career high in blocks and steals with two each.
- Walters and junior Ryan Pittman (Stratford, Conn.) led the team with five assists each.
- Albertus Magnus held a 33-31 edge over Emmanuel (Mass.) in rebounds.
- Emmanuel (Mass.) posted a total of 22 turnovers and of those mistakes the Falcons' capitalized on offense scoring 29 points off those errors.
- Both teams battled in the paint as the Falcons posted a 17-15 advantage in second chance points and a 38-36 edge in points in the paint.
Albertus Magnus returns to the court on Tuesday, Jan. 16 as the Falcons take on Middlebury in a non-conference showdown beginning at 7 p.m. Suffolk will return to action next Tuesday against Johnson & Wales.