Link: Box Score
Newton, Mass. - Sophomore Jahmerikah Green-Younger (Norwalk, Conn.) of the Albertus Magnus College men's basketball team collected his first career double-double, 20 points and 10 rebounds, as the Falcons topped Mount Ida, 89-81, Thursday evening in GNAC play.
FINAL SCORE: Albertus Magnus 89 | Mount Ida 81
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (10-4, 7-0) | Mount Ida (8-7, 2-4)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Over the first three minutes of play, Albertus Magnus and Mount Ida battled through three ties before the Falcons found themselves up nine, 19-10, with 13:15 remaining in the first. Shortly after, the Mustangs battled back to within one, 19-18, following an 8-0 spurt sparked on a layup from Kevin Nunez.
With 7:36 left in the first, Albertus Magnus managed to maintain its lead despite the hosts cutting the score to two on four different occasions and would hold a 47-38 lead at the half.
Mount Ida began the second half cutting the Falcons' lead to eight, 51-43, just three minutes in, before the visitors pushed their lead to 18, 68-50, with 11:05 remaining. The Mustangs would use a 14-5 run to cut the deficit to within single digits, 73-64, but it wasn't enough as Albertus Magnus extended its lead back up to double-digits to secure the road win and remain undefeated in the GNAC.
- Jaqhawn Walters (Hartford, Conn.) 23-point performance pushes his career-point total to 1,463, ranking him fifth all-time.
- Walters now has a total of 952 rebounds and is just 48 shy of recording 1,000. He will be the third player in the program to accomplish this milestone.
- Albertus Magnus posted a season-high nine blocks, including two from Liam Perryman (Poughkeepsie, N.Y.).
- Seven players from Albertus Magnus registered at least a block.
- Albertus Magnus has defeated Mount Ida twice this season.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Albertus Magnus - 50% (field goal), 30.8% (three point) and 71.9% (free throw)
- Mount Ida - 36.5% (field goal), 24.1% (three point) and 80% (free throw)
- Along with Green-Younger, senior Jaqhawn Walters (Hartford, Conn.) also posted a double-double for the Falcons, 23 point and 12 rebounds.
- Senior Amir Maddred (Camden, N.J.) and sohomore A'Jen English (Middlebury, De.) rounded out the double-digit scorers for the Falcons with 12 and 13 points, respectively.
- Mount Ida had a trio of players score in double-figures, including a team-high 20 points from John Oliver.
- The Mustangs outshot the visitors in the second half, 43-42.
- This game saw three ties and two lead changes.
- Albertus Magnus out-rebounded Mount Ida 51-35 as well as posted a 28-13 edge in second chance points.
- Mount Ida's bench totaled 25 points compared to Albertus Magnus who posted only 17.
Albertus Magnus returns to the court on Saturday, Jan. 20 as the Falcons face Lasell in a GNAC showdown beginning at 3 p.m.