Albertus Magnus College
Men's Basketball Weekly Preview
Albertus Magnus (11-4, 8-0)
Anna Maria (4-12, 1-6)
Tuesday, Jan. 23 • 7:30 p.m. • Paxton, Mass.
Albertus Magnus (11-4, 8-0)
Regis (Mass.) (9-7, 6-2)
Thursday, Jan. 25 • 7 p.m. • Weston, Mass.
Albertus Magnus (11-4, 8-0)
Emmanuel (Mass.) (2-14, 1-6)
Saturday, Jan. 27 • 3 p.m. • New Haven, Conn.
A NEW WEEK
The Albertus Magnus College men's basketball team looks to remain undefeated in the GNAC as the Falcons prepare for three games in the week ahead. Albertus Magnus starts off with the week with a pair of road games against Anna Maria and Regis (Mass.) before the Falcons return home on Saturday to host Emmanuel (Mass.).
ALL-TIME VS. ANNA MARIA
Albertus Magnus leads the all-time series against Anna Maria, 12-4.
LAST TIME VS. ANNA MARIA
Game (1/21/17): Albertus Magnus 85 | Anna Maria 82 – RECAP / BOX SCORE
Game (2/11/17): Albertus Magnus 87 | Anna Maria 66 – RECAP / BOX SCORE
Postseason (2/21/17): Albertus Magnus 92 | Anna Maria 67 – RECAP / BOX SCORE
ALL-TIME VS. REGIS (MASS.)
Albertus Magnus holds a 1-0 edge over Regis (Mass.) in the all-time series.
LAST TIME VS. REGIS (MASS.)
Game (12/2/17): Albertus Magnus 88 | Regis (Mass.) 58 – RECAP / BOX SCORE
ALL-TIME VS. EMMANUEL (MASS.)
Albertus Magnus has an overall record of 22-11 against Emmanuel (Mass.) in the all-time series.
LAST TIME VS. EMMANUEL (MASS.)
Game (1/13/18): Albertus Magnus 84 | Emmanuel (Mass.) 68 – RECAP / BOX SCORE
LAST WEEK RECAP
LAST WEEK PLAYER HIGHLIGHTS
- Ryan Pittman
- Tied his season-best in rebounds with seven at Mount Ida.
- Jahmerikah Green-Younger
- Posted his first collegiate double-double, 20 points and 10 rebounds, at Mount Ida.
- A'Jen English
- Netted a season-high 19 points at Mount Ida.
- Had a season-best seven rebounds against Mount Ida and Lasell.
- Tyreek Perkins
- Collected a season-high six rebounds vs. Lasell.
- Jaqhawn Walters
- Posted three straight double-doubles
- Liam Perryman
- Tallied a season-high five points against lasell.
- Had a season-high two blocks at Mount Ida
WALTERS NAMED GNAC CORVIAS PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Senior forward Jaqhawn Walters (Hartford, Conn.) of the Albertus Magnus College men's basketball team was named the Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) Corvias Player of the Week, announced by the league on Monday afternoon.
In a 2-1 week, Walters averaged 19.7 points and 11.3 rebounds while shooting 51.1% (24-47 FG) from the floor. In an overtime road loss to No. 16 Middlebury, Walters registered 25 points and 12 rebounds before posting 23 points and 12 rebounds in a GNAC road win over Mount Ida. He concluded the week with an 11-point, 10-rebound double-double in a victory over Lasell. It marks the fifth GNAC Player of the Week honor, and second straight, for the reigning GNAC Player of the Year.
GREEN-YOUNGER NAMED ALBERTUS MAGNUS COLLEGE MALE STUDENT-ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
Sophomore Jahmerikah Green-Younger (Norwalk, Conn.) of the men's basketball team has been named as the Albertus Magnus College Male Student-Athlete of Week. Initiated in September, 2017, the 'Athlete of the Week' program recognizes one female and one male student-athlete each week for demonstrated excellence on the playing field.
Green-Younger helped lift the Falcons to a 2-1 week, averaging 15.3 points and 6.3 rebounds per game while shooting 48.1% from the field. The sophomore guard opened the week recording six points, four rebounds and an assist in the road loss at Middlebury. Green-Younger then went on to collect his first collegiate double-double, 20 points and 10 rebounds, in a win over Mount Ida before closing the week with 20 points, five rebounds, two assists and two steals against Lasell.
- Jaqhawn Walters
- Leads the league in points with 24.5 a game.
- Tied in first, along with Anna Maria's Mike Rapoza, in the conference averaging 13.3 rebounds per game.
- Amir Maddred
- Third in the GNAC in field goal percentage with 58.8 percent.
ALBERTUS MAGNUS TEAM STATS
- averaging 83.4 points and 43.2 rebounds per game.
- shooting - 45.8% (field goal), 31.2% (three point) and 64% (free throw)
- assists per game - 11.0
- steals per game - 7.5
- blocks per game 3.9
- opponents' field goal percentage - 41.5%
- opponents' three-point percentage - 31.0%
- rebound margin per game - 5.3
- The Falcons finish the first half of the season 5-3 to put them over .500 on the year.
- Albertus Magnus picked up key non-conference wins over WPI and Babson.
- The Falcons posted two two-game winning streaks.
- The team finished the month of December with a 3-2 record, including the 81-80 loss to New Jersey City back on Dec. 16.
- Albertus Magnus is 3-1 at home.
Albertus Magnus returns 11 players from last year's squad – Ryan Pittman, Mason Jones, Randy Thomas, Jemaa Yuori, Brian Hardy, Aaron Fox, Jaqhawn Walters, Damian Grant, Jahmerikah Green-Younger, Liam Perryman and Erick Langston.
MEN'S BASKETBALL LANDS ATOP OF GNAC PRESEASON POLL
Link: Complete GNAC Release
The Albertus Magnus College men's basketball team received nine of 11 first-place votes to land atop the Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) preseason poll. The Falcons earned 118 total points and finished 15 points ahead of second-place Johnson & Wales.
TICKETING INFORMATION FOR AMC BASKETBALL GAMES
All Albertus Magnus men's & women's basketball regular-season games are subject to tickets and admission charges. Tickets are $3 for adults/senior citizens and children 12 & under (accompanied by an adult) are free. Albertus Magnus students, faculty and staff receive free admission to the event with a valid ID.
Individual season passes are also available and priced at $20. The season pass allows (1) admission to any/both men's and women's basketball regular-season games.
LAST YEAR RECAP
- The Falcons concluded the 2016-17 season with an overall record of 23-5 and a conference mark of 16-2.
- Albertus Magnus won their seventh GNAC title after defeating GNAC rival Lasell College, 101-83, in the championship game.
- Following the win over the Lasers, the Falcons made their sixth appearance in the NCAA Division III Tournament.
- Head Coach Mitch Oliver earned his 200th career win in the 85-82 win over Anna Maria back on January 21, 2017.
WALTERS EARNS END OF THE YEAR HONORS
Last year, Jaqhawn Walters (Hartford, Conn.) received year-end honors after finishing his junior year averaging 20.7 points, 13.4 rebounds and 3.0 assists per game. He was named to the 2017 D3Hoops All-American Second Team, 2017 All-Region Second Team and earned a spot on the NABC Division III All-District Second Team. He was also named GNAC Tournament Most Valuable Player after the Falcons defeated Lasell College in the GNAC Championship.
A TRIO OF FALCONS EARN GNAC HONORS
Forward Jaqhawn Walters (Hartford, Conn.), guard Grant Ellis (Newark, N.J.) and guard Devin Coleman (Bridgeport, Conn.) earned All-Conference honors. Walters was named the Great Northeast Athletic Conference Player of the Year as well as earned First Team honors. Ellis earned Second Team honors while Coleman earned Third Team. Guard Jemaa Yuori (Ghana) earned a spot on the GNAC All-Sportsmanship Team.
YUORI LANDS SPOT ON GNAC ALL-ACADEMIC TEAM
The Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) announced its All-Academic Team for the 2016-17 school year. Fifty-seven student-athletes from Albertus Magnus College were among the 893 members, including Jemaa Yuori.
Albertus Magnus returns to action next week against Suffolk and Norwich.