Paxton, Mass. – Senior Jaqhawn Walters (Hartford, Conn.) of the Albertus Magnus College men's basketball team netted a career-high 42 points as well as posted a double-double as the Falcons defeated Anna Maria College, 87-76, Tuesday evening at the Fuller Center.
FINAL SCORE: Albertus Magnus 87 | Anna Maria 76
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (11-4, 8-0) | Anna Maria (4-12, 1-6)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Albertus Magnus opened the game with a 10-9 run before Anna Maria regained the lead, 16-12, behind a 7-2 run sparked by a layup by Mike Rapoza. Following three ties, Albertus Magnus found themselves up nine, 30-21, forcing the hosts to call a timeout to regroup.
With the first half winding down, Albertus Magnus extended its lead to double-digits and would close out the half with a 49-29 lead heading into the locker room.
The Falcons continued to control the tempo in the second as the visitors put together a 10-4 run to take a commanding 59-33 lead. Anna Maria countered with a 14-4 run to cut the deficit to 16, with 13:21 remaining.
Five minutes later, Anna Maria battled back to within five, 69-64, on a three from Tanner Jakola, but a 7-0 run pushed the Falcons' lead back up to 12, 76-64. From that point on, Albertus Magnus was able to put the game away to remain undefeated in the conference.
- The Falcons held the AMCATS to 26.1% (field goal) and 14.3% (three point) shooting in the first half.
- Anna Maria posted a 27-23 edge in rebounds over the first 20 minutes of play as well as scored 11second chance points compared to the Falcons six.
- Albertus Magnus now leads Anna Maria in the all-time series 13-4.
- Erick Langston (Stratford, Conn.) shot 100% from the field, behind the arc and at the free throw line.
- Jaqhawn Walters (Hartford, Conn.) 42-point performance pushes his career-point total to 1,516, ranking him fourth all-time.
- Walters now has a total of 973 rebounds and is just 27 shy of recording 1,000. He will be the third player in the program to accomplish this milestone.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Albertus Magnus - 50.7% (field goal), 40% (three point) and 72.2% (free throw)
- Anna Maria - 37.8% (field goal), 26.9% (three point) and 43.8% (free throw)
- This game saw seven lead changes and four ties.
- Anna Maria out-rebounded the Falcons 44-34 as well as posted a 23-11 edge in second chance points.
- Along with Walters, Jahmerikah Green-Younger (Norwalk, Conn.) and Hanif Bilal (Winston-Salem, N.C.) also scored in double-figures for the Falcons with 11 points a piece.
- Junior Ryan Pittman (Stratford, Conn.) posted a team-high six assists.
- Mike Rapoza and Kenneth Graham led the AMCATS offense with a pair of double-doubles, including a 19-point, 16-rebound performance from Rapoza.
- Walters and Liam Perryman (Poughkeepsie, N.Y.) paced the Falcons' defense with two blocks each.
- Bilal posted three of the Falcons' four three-pointers.
- The Falcons' bench posted 18 points.
The men's basketball team returns to action on Thursday, Jan. 25 as the Falcons take on Regis (Mass.).