New Haven, Conn. - Every starter on the Albertus Magnus College men's basketball team finished in double figures, including a team-high 20 points from senior Jaqhawn Walters (Hartford, Conn.), as the Falcons edged Regis (Mass.), 77-62, on Thursday evening in Great Northeast Athletic Conference play at Higgins Court.
FINAL SCORE: Albertus Magnus 77 | Regis (Mass.) 62
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (13-4, 10-0) | Regis (Mass.) (9-8, 6-3)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Falcons got off to a hot start, jumping out to a quick 12-2 lead in the game's opening three and a half minutes. A string of threes put the Pride back in the game with a 9-0 run to cut the deficit to 12-11.
The run was short-lived, as the Falcons went on a 10-2 run of their own in response to the triples forcing the Pride to take a timeout down 22-13 with 9:28 left in the first half. The teams would go to the locker room with the Falcons ahead 33-19.
The Pride was unable to cut into the Albertus Magnus lead in the second half as the Falcons dominated the boards. The Pride made a late run to cut a 20-point second half deficit to 11 with a touch over two minutes to go, but could not cut the lead any further.
- Jaqhawn Walters (Hartford, Conn.) 20-point performance pushes his career-point total to 1,536, ranking him fourth all-time.
- Walters now has a total of 995 rebounds and is just five shy of recording 1,000. He will be the third player in the program to accomplish this milestone.
- Freshman Tyreek Perkins (New Haven, Conn.) netted a career-high 15 points as well as collected five rebounds and a block.
- Perkins also shot a perfect 100 percent (4-of-4) from the free throw line.
- Albertus Magnus posted a season-best 41 defensive rebounds.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Albertus Magnus - 49.1% (field goal), 44.4% (three point) and 65.6% (free throw)
- Regis (Mass.) - 33.3% (field goal), 22.7% (three point) and 50% (free throw)
- Three players finished in double-figures for Regis (Mass.), including a team-high 20 points from Ademola Afonja.
- Afonja scored all 20 of his points in the second half.
- Along with his 20 points, Walters also recorded his 14th double-double of the season behind 22 rebounds, two assists, a steal and a career-high five blocks.
- Also recording a double-double was senior Amir Maddred (Camden, N.J.), who posted 11 points and 11 rebounds for the Falcons.
- Junior Ryan Pittman (Stratford, Conn.) was the next player to finish in double figures for the visitors with 14 points on 3-of-7 shooting from the field and went 7-of-10 from the charity strip.
- Sophomore Jahmerikah Green-Younger (Norwalk, Conn.) rounded out the double-digit scorers with 11 points.
- Albertus Magnus out rebounded the hosts by a 52-38 margin.
- Regis (Mass.) capitalized on the Falcons' 21 turnovers by scoring 19 of its points off those errors.
- The Falcons held a 15-13 edge in second chance points.
Albertus Magnus returns to action on Saturday, Jan. 27 as the Falcons host Emmanuel (Mass.) in a GNAC home tilt. The Pride will travel to Saint Joseph's (Me.) the same day for a 1:00 p.m. tip off against the Monks.