New Haven, Conn. – Senior Jaqhawn Walters (Hartford, Conn.) of the Albertus Magnus College men's basketball team recorded 14 rebounds to become the third player in program history to record 1,000 career rebounds as the Falcons shutdown Emmanuel (Mass.), 100-78, in GNAC action on Saturday afternoon at "The Nest" inside the Cosgrove Marcus Messer Athletic Center.
FINAL SCORE: Albertus Magnus 100 | Emmanuel (Mass.) 78
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (14-4, 11-0) | Emmanuel (Mass.) (2-16, 1-8)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Over the first four minutes of play, Albertus Magnus and Emmanuel battled on offense as the Falcons held an one-point edge, 13-12, before extending their lead to 10, 27-17, with 11:17 remaining in the half. With the clock winding down, Albertus Magnus found its rhythm, pushing its lead to 16, 46-30, before heading into the locker room up 50-38.
Albertus Magnus carried its momentum from the first into the second, leading by 20, 60-40, after opening the second half with a 10-2 run four minutes in. Emmanuuel (Mass.) continued to put up a fight and not give up, cutting the deficit to within 16, 92-76, with two minutes left to play. However, the Falcons would go on to seal the home win after closing out regulation with an 8-2 run.
- Freshman Tyreek Perkins (New Haven, Conn.), senior Amir Maddred (Camden, N.J.) and sophomore Brian Hardy (New York, N.Y.) shot 100 percent from the free throw line.
- Perkins netted a career-high four three's for the Falcons.
- Senior Jaqhawn Walters (Hartford, Conn.) 31-point performance pushes his career-point total to 1,567, ranking him fourth all-time.
- At home the Falcons are 7-1 following today's win.
- This is the Falcons' first 100-point game this season.
- Albertus Magnus now leads the all-time series against the Saints 23-11.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Albertus Magnus – 54.3% (field goal), 47.8% (three point) and 48.1% (free throw)
- Emmanuel (Mass.) – 42.5% (field goal), 34/8% (three point) and 80% (free throw)
- Four of the Falcons' five starters registered in double-figures, including a career-high 22 points from freshman Tyreek Perkins (New Haven, Conn.).
- Walters paced the Falcons' offense with a team-high 31 points while senior Amir Maddred (Camden, N.J.) and sophomore Hanif Bilal (Winston-Salem, N.C.) rounded out the double-digit scorers with 10 and 11 points, respectively.
- Emmett Riddick led the Saints in scoring with 14 while Zachary Crisafulli posted 11 points on 4-of-7 shooting from the field and 3-of-3 showing at the line.
- Albertus Magnus out rebounded the Saints by a 46-40 edge as well as netted 13 second chance points.
- The Falcons capitalized on the Saints' errors as the hosts scored 29 of its 100 points of turnovers.
- Emmanuel's bench tallied a total of 35 points.
- This game saw one tie and two lead changes.
Albertus Magnus returns to action next week against Suffolk and Norwich.