Albertus Magnus College
Men's Basketball Weekly Preview
Albertus Magnus (14-4, 11-0)
Suffolk (11-8, 6-4)
Thursday, Feb. 1 • 7 p.m. • Boston, Mass.
Albertus Magnus (14-4, 11-0)
Norwich (8-10, 5-4)
Saturday, Feb. 3 • 1 p.m. • New Haven, Conn.
A NEW WEEK
The Albertus Magnus College men's basketball team looks to remain undefeated in the GNAC as the Falcons prepare for two games in the week ahead. Albertus Magnus starts off with the week with a road game at Suffolk before returning home on Saturday to host Norwich.
ALL-TIME VS. SUFFOLK
Albertus Magnus holds a 24-15 edge over the Rams in the all-time series.
LAST TIME VS. SUFFOLK
Game (1/8/18): Albertus Magnus 81 | Suffolk 65 – RECAP / BOX SCORE
Game (12/10/16): Albertus Magnus 81 | Suffolk 76 – RECAP / BOX SCORE
Game (1/12/17): Albertus Magnus 72 | Suffolk 59 – RECAP / BOX SCORE
ALL-TIME VS. NORWICH
Albertus Magnus holds a 22-12 advantage against Norwich in the all-time series.
LAST TIME VS. NORWICH
Game (12/9/17): Albertus Magnus 85 | Norwich 74 – RECAP / BOX SCORE
Game (1/5/17): Albertus Magnus 86 | Norwich 69 – RECAP/BOX SCORE
Game (1/10/17): Albertus Magnus 85 | Norwich 57 – RECAP/BOX SCORE
LAST WEEK RECAP
Game: Albertus Magnus 87 | Anna Maria 76 – RECAP / BOX SCORE
Game: Albertus Magnus 77 | Regis (Mass.) 62 – RECAP / BOX SCORE
Game: Albertus Magnus 100 | Emmanuel (Mass.) 78 – RECAP / BOX SCORE
WALTERS RECORDS ANOTHER MILESTONE
Senior Jaqhawn Walters of the Albertus Magnus College men's basketball team recorded 14 rebounds to become the third player in program history to record 1,000 career rebounds as the Falcons shutdown Emmanuel (Mass.), 100-78. His 31-point performance against the Saints pushed his career-point total to 1,567, ranking him fourth all-time.
WALTERS NAMED ALBERTUS MAGNUS COLLEGE MALE STUDENT-ATHLETE OF THE WEEK and GNAC CORVIAS PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Senior Jaqhawn Walters (Hartford ,Conn.) of the men's basketball team has been named as the Albertus Magnus College Male Student-Athlete of Week as well as the GNAC Corvias Male Player of the Week.
In a 3-0 week, Walters averaged 31.0 points and 15.7 rebounds, while shooting 62.5% (40-64 FG) from the field and going 13-of-23 from the free throw line. He had a career-high 42 points on 18-of-29 shooting with 11 rebounds and a career-high five blocks against Anna Maria before registering 20 points and 22 rebounds in a win over Regis (Mass.). The senior capped off the week with 31 points and 14 rebounds in a win over Emmanuel (Mass.) on Saturday. He also became the third player in program history to exceed 1,000 career rebounds.
- Jaqhawn Walters
- Leads the league in points with 25.6 a game.
- Leads the GNAC in rebounds with 13.7 a game.
- Ranks second in the conference with a 57.1 field goal percentage.
- Amir Maddred
- Fifth in the GNAC in field goal percentage with 55.4 percent.
ALBERTUS MAGNUS TEAM STATS
- averaging 84.2 points and 43.3 rebounds per game.
- shooting - 46.8% (field goal), 33.1% (three point) and 63.5% (free throw)
- assists per game - 11.2
- steals per game - 7.3
- blocks per game – 4.1
- opponents' field goal percentage – 40.8%
- opponents' three-point percentage – 30.6%
- rebound margin per game - 5.0
- The Falcons finish the first half of the season 5-3 to put them over .500 on the year.
- Albertus Magnus picked up key non-conference wins over WPI and Babson.
- The Falcons posted two two-game winning streaks.
- The team finished the month of December with a 3-2 record, including the 81-80 loss to New Jersey City back on Dec. 16.
- Albertus Magnus is 3-1 at home.
Albertus Magnus returns 11 players from last year's squad – Ryan Pittman, Mason Jones, Randy Thomas, Jemaa Yuori, Brian Hardy, Aaron Fox, Jaqhawn Walters, Damian Grant, Jahmerikah Green-Younger, Liam Perryman and Erick Langston.
MEN'S BASKETBALL LANDS ATOP OF GNAC PRESEASON POLL
Link: Complete GNAC Release
The Albertus Magnus College men's basketball team received nine of 11 first-place votes to land atop the Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) preseason poll. The Falcons earned 118 total points and finished 15 points ahead of second-place Johnson & Wales.
TICKETING INFORMATION FOR AMC BASKETBALL GAMES
All Albertus Magnus men's & women's basketball regular-season games are subject to tickets and admission charges. Tickets are $3 for adults/senior citizens and children 12 & under (accompanied by an adult) are free. Albertus Magnus students, faculty and staff receive free admission to the event with a valid ID.
Individual season passes are also available and priced at $20. The season pass allows (1) admission to any/both men's and women's basketball regular-season games.
LAST YEAR RECAP
- The Falcons concluded the 2016-17 season with an overall record of 23-5 and a conference mark of 16-2.
- Albertus Magnus won their seventh GNAC title after defeating GNAC rival Lasell College, 101-83, in the championship game.
- Following the win over the Lasers, the Falcons made their sixth appearance in the NCAA Division III Tournament.
- Head Coach Mitch Oliver earned his 200th career win in the 85-82 win over Anna Maria back on January 21, 2017.
WALTERS EARNS END OF THE YEAR HONORS
Last year, Jaqhawn Walters (Hartford, Conn.) received year-end honors after finishing his junior year averaging 20.7 points, 13.4 rebounds and 3.0 assists per game. He was named to the 2017 D3Hoops All-American Second Team, 2017 All-Region Second Team and earned a spot on the NABC Division III All-District Second Team. He was also named GNAC Tournament Most Valuable Player after the Falcons defeated Lasell College in the GNAC Championship.
A TRIO OF FALCONS EARN GNAC HONORS
Forward Jaqhawn Walters (Hartford, Conn.), guard Grant Ellis (Newark, N.J.) and guard Devin Coleman (Bridgeport, Conn.) earned All-Conference honors. Walters was named the Great Northeast Athletic Conference Player of the Year as well as earned First Team honors. Ellis earned Second Team honors while Coleman earned Third Team. Guard Jemaa Yuori (Ghana) earned a spot on the GNAC All-Sportsmanship Team.
YUORI LANDS SPOT ON GNAC ALL-ACADEMIC TEAM
The Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) announced its All-Academic Team for the 2016-17 school year. Fifty-seven student-athletes from Albertus Magnus College were among the 893 members, including Jemaa Yuori.
Albertus Magnus returns to action next week against Johnson & Wales and Saint Joseph's of Maine.