Link: Box Score
New Haven, Conn. - Every starter on the Albertus Magnus College men's basketball team finished in double-figures, as the Falcons defeated Saint Joseph's of Maine, 86-73, on Saturday afternoon in Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) play at "The Nest" inside the Cosgrove Marcus Messer Athletic Center.
FINAL SCORE: Albertus Magnus 86 | Saint Joseph's of Maine 73
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (18-4, 15-0) | Saint Joseph's (Me.) (14-9, 9-5)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Albertus Magnus controlled the opening eight minutes of play as the Falcons began the game with a 14-8 run until a five straight points by the Monks tied the game at 14-all with 11:16 on the clock.
Following three ties, Saint Joseph's of Maine tied the game, for a fourth time, 25-25, at the 6:02 mark on a three from Darian Berry, but Albertus Magnus would answer back, putting together a 14-4 run to take a 10-point lead, 39-29.
Saint Joseph's of Maine would head into the locker room trailing the hosts by five, 39-34, despite closing out the first with a 5-0 run.
Albertus Magnus picked up where they left off in the first, opening the second with a commanding 52-36 lead, following a 13-2 run five minutes in. Saint Joseph's of Maine chipped away at the Falcons' lead and found themselves within 10, 67-57, with 6:33 remaining in regulation. However, the Monks were unable to secure the comeback and fell on the road to the Falcons in GNAC play.
- At home, the Falcons are 10-1 following today's win over the Monks.
- The Falcons are now 15-8 against the Monks in the all-time series.
- At home, Albertus Magnus is 10-3 against Saint Joseph's of Maine.
- Albertus Magnus shot a season-high 50 percent from three-point range.
- Walters double-double is his 14th straight, 19th overall.
- Freshman Tyreek Perkins (New Haven, Conn.) tied his career-high in three-pointers with four.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Albertus Magnus - 44.4% (field goal), 50.0% (three point) and 64.3=5% (free throw)
- Saint Joseph's (Me.) - 49.2% (field goal), 27.8% (three point) and 83.3% (free throw)
- Both teams registered 38 rebounds each.
- Albertus Magnus posted 21 points off turnovers and 18 second chance points.
- This game saw six ties and four lead changes.
- Saint Joseph's of Maine tallied 34 of its 73 points in the paint.
- Senior Jaqhawn Walters (Hartford, Conn.) posted a team-high 25 points to go along 12 rebounds, three assist, two steals and a block.
- Darian Berry led the Monks with a 25-point performance while Jack Casale posted a double-double, 17 points and 11 rebounds.
- Freshman Tyreek Perkins (New Haven, Conn.) was the next Falcon to score in double-figures with 16 points.
- Both Amir Maddred (Camden, N.J.) and Ryan Pittman (Stratford, Conn.) netted 13 points a piece while Jahmerikah Green-Younger (Norwalk, Conn.) rounded out the double-digit scorers with 12, respectively.
Albertus Magnus returns to action next week against SUNY Canton & Johnson & Wales.
SENIOR DAY – FEB. 13 VS. SUNY CANTON
Prior to the start of Tuesday's game the Albertus Magnus College men's basketball team would like to recognize the accomplishments of its four-member senior class. These four student-athletes have been key contributors to the Falcons' success during their tenure here with the squad and have helped the team improve each season.